Sunday, October 08, 2006



13 SONGS combines the self-titled EP and the MARGIN WALKER EP on one CD. It is one of the most important albums in all of independent music. Fugazi embodies the term "independent", and have re-written the rule book on hardcore and punk multiple times. From the unmistakable opening bass line of "Waiting Room" to the cathartic finale of "Promises," the record is DIY post-punk at its finest. Ian Mackaye, Guy Picciotto, Joe Lally and Brendan Canty are all DC hardcore natives who have spent years redefining punk music, and Fugazi is the full realization of that experimental punk ethos. Even on this first record they sound fully formed and ready change to the face of music forever.

I know this is not an uncommon record, but I think it is a good starting point for a blog about art and music I find beautiful, strange, powerful, quirky, moving and influential. Fugazi is all of those things to me. And if this is your first time coming across Fugazi, than this is where you should start. All albums can be ordered directly through Ian MacKaye's own Dischord Records for $10. Or you can pay a few extra dollars to buy it from amazon.com.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, nice site, and good topic matter! Second, this album is truly monumental. I remember the first time I heard it. I was surprised because I had been into Minor Threat at the time. This album was so different. Out of all of their albums, it is still probably my favorite. It's so raw. But, I'm still a sucker for the more polished 'In on the Kill Taker.' And for anyone looking for a Fugazi album that is just as ground breaking as '13 Songs,' in my opinion, check out the soundtrack they did to the film 'Instrument.' It teeters on so many genres and is a great piece of work.

4:58 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Thank you brandon.
I think my favorite might be Repeater or In On The Killtaker. But 13 songs was the first album I had heard from Fugazi and is thus responsible for changing the way I think of music. I can still remember the feeling I had when I heard the opening bass line for "Waiting Room" So classic!
Im also a huge fan of the current album, The Argument, great stuff.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Detectief Van Zwam said...

Yes, Fugazi is an awesome band, I think I might have a bootleg of a show early nineties in new york. I'll check it out.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Detectief Van Zwam said...

yep found it, here it is:
http://rapidshare.de/files/30233688/fugazi_live1995.rar.html
I uploaded it a time ago and the link is still working. Fantastic stuff this is, really, you should check it out.
blend if you want to use any of my links like the one above or at www.openyourarmsandwelcome.blogspot.com or from www.detectiefvanzwam.blogspot.com
feel free to do so.

6:07 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

DVZ, thank you! I believe I acquired a copy of the 95 bootleg, from irving plaza yes? I love that place and the recording is amazing, I will take the opportunity to post that one, Thanks very much!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for anyone interested, you might be able to find live shows at archive.org. i know that they are a 'trade friendly' band and promote the trading of their live shows. they might be in flac format. i was at the site the other day downloading a few DMST, Mono, Fly Pan Am, and Godspeed shows, i noticed that Fugazi was on the list. sorry if i'm just stating the obvious and everyone is aware of this.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the link to the Fugazi shows on archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/Fugazi

there's one from 1988, which is available in FLAC, or VBR MP3, and the VBR MP3s on the site are usually of pretty good quality. usually between 192kb/s - 320kb/s. i haven't downloaded any of these personally as of yet, but as mentioned before, i have downloaded several others and have been nothing but pleased.

4:30 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Brandon, you should grab the link that Detectiefvanzwam posted up above. It is a 1995 shoe from NYC and it has the best recording yet....good show too!

10:40 AM  
Blogger DEATH TO FALSE BLOGS said...

yeeeeeeeeah! dude
what the fuck! this hit machine record from a kick ass weird hit machine band!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home