Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Electric Wizard


Come My Fanatics (1997)


Dopethrone (2000)

Electric Wizard are one of the heaviest bands of all time. Similar in quality to the previous posts of Warhorse and Goatsnake, but an altogether different beast. Why is it that all the Stoner Doom bands have all the coolest names. Electric Wizard are slow, massively heavy and uncompromisingly good musicians. Jus Oborn is a great vocalist for the Doom genre, and the songs are long and incorporate lots of repetitive haze inducing riffing and lots of psychedelia. The drums and the vocals sound like they are buried below oceans of guitar and bass distortion, so the music can at once have a very textural feel and also reveal amazing intracacies on closer listening. And I think thats what makes Electric Wizard so great, is the amount of time one can devote to listening to them and still find more to love. This must be why they are one of the Premier Doom bands still around. If I had to choose between the two albums above I would probably say Dopethrone is the best of their work, but Come My Fanatics follows closely behind on the strength of tracks like the disgustingly huge psychedelic mess of "Return Trip" and the awesome Sabbath Doom of "Wizard in Black".

Electric Wizard currently resides on Lee Dorian's (of Doom pioneers Cathedral) Rise Above Record Label. Home of many great Doom bands like Goatsnake, Orange Goblin, Unearthly Trance, and more. Go check em out.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for these! Electric Wizard are one of my new favorites.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are these the reissues?

10:52 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

not that i know of.....

i think the come my fanatics reissue has two discs....

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding my link!

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I've been trying to get into more stuff lately like Set Fire To Flames and stuff like GYBE but I dunno where to look. Just like weird japanese folk music and stuff. Oh btw I have Bob Dylan up but I suppose you already own that

4:36 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

I can up set fire to flames for you...i have a bunch of GYBE in my archives... all the links are still active...its their discography minus the latest album..

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Wizard!!!

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home