Thursday, May 08, 2008

Quicksand


Quicksand - Slip (1993)


Quicksand - How Soon Is Now [Smiths Cover] (1993 - B side from the Dine Alone Single)


Quicksand - S/T EP [only one song, Clean Slate] (1991)

Nothing gets me hotter and hornier more than Quicksand. And frankly, you can take Manic Compression and stick it where the sun dont shine. Eh, its good, but nothing close to the power of Slip. The funny part is when I first purchased Slip, I didnt like it. It wasnt heavy enough.

I entered middle school with a healthy dose of classic rock under my belt. (Thanks mom!) and this in turn led to a middle school obsession with hard rock music, namely Motley Crue. I really didnt think anything could be better than Motley Crue. That is, until Guns and Roses came along with Appetite for Destruction. Now, my young mind couldnt grasp all the stops this band had pulled out; It's So Easy meant nothing more to me than "ease of use", like, "that math test was easy!", and I certainly only thought of Mr Brownstone as some cranky old man that lived next door and clearly couldnt put up with these young ruffians rocking out all the time. Ha! Yeah, I think around that time my friend Wayne attempted to get me into Slayer - Reign in Blood and that was just too soon for me. The satanic cover art scared me. I come from a catholic family. The fear of god was born in me and took many drugs to finally be quelled forever, but in middle school, evil was ever present. The few kids smoking pot, the even fewer girls having, gasp! sex!. These were different times, the very end of different times as it turns out. But I digress.

So Slayer was out. Megadeth and Metallica? They were in. Metallica especially. I was getting into the sound of palm muted guitars and Metallica had them in spades. It was around this time that I started listening to Seton Halls WSOU Pirate Radio. The metal shows were on late at night and me, being a youngun, had to hit the hay on the earlier side. So I would set up a tape and dub one side of a tape hoping to get something good. The next morning I would be all excited and head to the bus stop with my monolithic walkmen, which was about the size of an average lunchbox and I would be all giddy as they played bands like Overkill, Iron Maiden, King Diamond and the likes. These were great times. (Consequently I revisited Slayer around this time and found much to like and little to be scared of. I just needed to ease myself into it. I even think it was my fast growing love of Slayer that helped me digest Converge only a few short years later)

The most memorable of these occasions was when I heard a spot by a band called Biohazard; "We are Biohazard, from Brooklyn, NY and you are listening to WSOU Pirate Radio." They sounded so badass. The song was Blue Blood and in that same show they played some Sick of It All. I should mention that this is now falling around the end of 8th grade. Motley Crue, as epic and amazing as they were, had fallen by the wayside in favor of heavier music. It only took a few hardcore songs for me to develop an obsession with heavy and fast palm muted guitars mixed with attitude. I was also starting to become more serious about skateboarding. So this angsty badass sound resonated in me even more so than ever.

I owe a lot of my musical discoveries to Thrasher Magazine. Without them and WSOU I probably would have never of heard of hardcore or punk music. Or maybe just much later than I did. I didnt have an older bro or sis to get me into things, so Thrasher was my sibling. I couldnt go on line and surf the net to find out more about Sick of It All or Biohazard, and I didnt have anyone to ask, but it was clear that my life could not go on unless I had a real solid copy of this immense sound. It was almost as if it were a dream, I didnt really hear it, and I half expected it not to exist.

It must've have been the incredibly shitty Bazaar Mall in Mount Kisco, New York that produced the fruits of my searching labor. There I found a tape of Blood, Sweat and No Tears. The faux shattered glass graphic with the photos of people going apeshit and the awesome type face. I was kinda scared, but I purchased it with my friend Fooch. (I still have that tape. One of three that I can let go of) I can say with almost complete honesty that I never looked back from that day. Hardcore was what I wanted and all I could do now was find more and skate like no tomorrow. This led the march to bands like Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, Dag Nasty and The Circle Jerks. Between my friends Fooch and Joe, we amassed a nice little cluster of bands. Fooch tended towards the more brooding and brought in Type-O-Negative. Joe tended toward the punkier and introduced us to NOFX, Pennywise and Green Day and I managed the straight and narrow, searching in vain for Youth of Today and Gorilla Biscuits.

It wasnt until 1993 that I found the holy grail of musical existence. And that came in the form of Trash American Style. A one stop shop for everything underground. They even preferred to work on a barter system! They had 7"s from bands I never heard of, LP's and CD's, used and new, and stickers and anything a little punk grommet could want (and a lot of GG Allin stuff as well, which always irked me). The first thing I bought was Youth Of Today's Break Down the Walls. I went back maybe a week later and bought Start Today and thus ensued a weekly habit of purchasing records from every band that sounded cool, had a cool record cover, or was on a label that I knew was good. I ordered catalogs from every label that I could and ordered as much as my meager bookstore job would allow.

But back to the matter at hand. We're still in 1993, and obviously I had heard that Walter Schreifels had a new band. Not so new in 1993, but still new to me and most of the world. I bought the tape with Fooch again, and I remember giving it a listen for the first time in Irvington NY. We were being hooligans and doing really bad graffiti and I just wasnt into it. I felt like I had wasted my money. Where was the punch? Where was the heavy? In any case, I found the song Freezing Process to be pretty intriguing and I slowly started getting really into it. I think Unfulfilled was the next song to catch my ear and my friend Joe was all excited about Too Official and Transparent. Thus began our love affair with Quicksand.

We went to see them play with Rage Against the Machine in NYC in the fall of 93. I had hurt my knee earlier that year and pounding around that night I did what has now become the bane of my existence and popped my knee cap out. My enthusiasm outweighed my pain and I managed a hobbling bounce for the rest of the show. State of the Nation played that show as well, and of course I purchased that too. (wonder what ever happened to that album?) It wasnt until early the next year that I got to see Quicksand again, this time headlining, with Orange 9mm and Foundation opening for them (the old band Foundation, not the new one) Well that was a hell of a show! My knee didn't pop and I got all frenzied while Chaka and the guys from Foundation got all frenzied too. I really felt like a part of some amorphous powerful being of angst and change. It was immense and I still cant stifle the smile that comes to my face when I think of how that opened up the world of hardcore to me. Not just in the sense of songs and listening, but the fact that other people were into this, other bands were like this and the shows were cheap, you just had to pay attention and find them and maybe travel a little bit. Man, Quicksand set off some of the best days of my life. Skatebording, seeing shows, buying records. That was the life.

Enjoy these. I have never heard another band like it my life. And even if I did, it doesnt have that history attached to it. I want to be 75 years old and still smile about it, listening to Freezing Process or Unfulfilled and getting my creaky bones moving again.

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things:

1) Have you heard Moondog? ... Walter's short lived band before Quicksand. It pretty much sounds exactly what you'd expect transitioning from GB to Quicksand. I could upload if you want to check it out.

2) Manic Compression rules!

6:06 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

moondog is awesome. i told a story on here once about a friend who had found it in the record bin at our spot. i was jealous, but it was a bootleg copy and sounded terrible (around the same time we also procured, on cassette, the GB demos with Wally singing). Either way, he sold them off, but now Anthology Recordings has officially released them with some rudimentary re-mastering. I will post them up too.

I do like Manic Compression. I gave it some hard love in this post because it just never lived up to the awesomeness of Slip. But it is a great rock album and I shouldnt deny it. ^_^

7:58 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

not much else to say, I remember exactly where i was when I first heard Slip, it's such a great album.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been checking out your blog for a while now, but reading this post completely convinced me I had to say hello.

Blend77 and I seem to have been on eerily similar paths around the early 90s... I was at Fox Lane High School in Bedford, shopping at that crappy record store at the Bazaar Mall (where I purchased Negativland's "U2" thinking it was a U2 album) until I discovered Trash American Style and a whole new world of music. Including the Quicksand s/t EP ("Hey guys... that dude from Fishbone and Flea play horns on this song!"). Not to mention discovering the entire notion of indie rock (I remember Malcolm at Trash's snarky suggestion to the uninitiated that, "Yeah... you might want to try the record store at the MALL for something like that.")

I also saw Quicksand with Orange 9mm and someone else (H20?) at LoHo in Syracuse a couple years later and it was amazing.

All the folks on this blog have not only reminded me of some great music from back in the day, but have also introduced me to a lot of new (old) stuff I missed.

So, to everyone, many, many thanks.

And, if anyone is interested, I could upload some of the more obscure indie/math rock/post rock stuff I have sitting around. Although, with you people, it might not be so obscure.

Cheers!

10:06 PM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

i rememebr buying the first quicksand 7" and the verbal assault "on" 12" rouchly around the same time 89-90, possibly even on the same day? i remember listening to them right when they came out and thinking "man this shit is different, things are changing." i mean it all sounded like it was on some other level. like it was still kinda vaguely "hardcore" but to me both records sounded like they were leaning more on the "DC" side. dare i say "emotional."

on a side not, verbal assault "on" is an amazing album.

anyway, i remember slip coming out and i fereverishly ran to the record store to buy it and slap it in my car and i remember being severly dissapointed. all of my friends were way into jane's addiction at the time and i distictly remember me saying "this sounds like jane's addiction." haha...well minus the funk. anyway, it all just sounded too smoothed out. like the 7" had a heavier crunching sound and slip was just too, i dont know...mellow sounding? and no "TC3!" on ommision?! what the fuck!? anyway, obviously i grew to love it. and in a funny twist, it turned all of my janes addiction friends onto bands more in the "hardcore realm." i think i can actually say that without slip and my jane's addiction friends, my own bad would have never formed...haha. so therfore, slip rules! but that first 7" was better. except for the hypno jam.

also, when i saw quicksand after slip came out they all had long hair and bell bottoms. that could have been why it sounded more "mellow" haha.

11:12 PM  
Blogger apoxonbothyourhouses said...

hey all...

i adore quicksand. they took the whole "sounds like fugazi" thing to an entirely different level.

just wondering, though. i've been jonesin' for some Girls Against Boys and it's near impossible to find online.

was wondering if anyone had any and wouldn't mind uploading.

love and hugs.

8:24 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Don Aman, I went to Fox Lane High School. I graduated in 1995.

my name is Tim, Im certain we knew each other. I was the skateboarder, with Joe and Henry and Fooch.

anytime you want to share something, feel free. if people have it they still might get excited and talk about it.

@ Proven, yes, the 7" had a crunchier sound. Clean Slate is easily one of the best Quicksand songs. Over time I learned to love the Slip versions of Omission and Unfulfilled, but the originals were great as well. Hypno Jam with Dan, wellllll, lets just all smile and nod our heads... ^_^

@ apox, I dont have any G vs B, but I do have some Rain and some Soul Side. ^_~

10:37 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Great post...it's always interesting to hear someone's musical er..."journey"....the monolithic walkman with 4 double A's with Overkill, King Diamond, Megadeth and Metallica made me laugh...I totally remember those days...If music could grab me the way it did back then I'd be pretty stoked...you know, when you're walking along listening to some track on your cassette player, totally into it...and when something or someone interrupts you, you stop angrily and take the time to rewind back to the beginning of the song, especially if it was the nice little acoustic guitar or piano intro that metallica and megadeth used to do before launching into something that made you shit your pants...well, maybe I was nerdier than most...anyway, I checked this (Quicksand) out the first time you posted it, but after reading the post I've got to go give it another listen.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@apox - Here's some GVSB:

Venus Luxure No 1 Baby
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2F66GRX0

Cruise Yourself
http://www.mediafire.com/?mxzxnmxbbdb

Sexy Sam EP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H6DDTB0R

I don't post stuff that often, so let me know if anything got screwy with the files.

@Blend77 - Gabe. Class of '93. I think I DO remember you... but I've actually managed to forget a whole hell of a lot from back then. Though I am somewhat convinced one of your skater friends was really into cassettes and traded me his Jesus Lizard "Liar" CD for my cassette. Maybe not.

I'll try to post some other random indie stuff at some point...

4:21 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Gabe, I remember you. You wore glasses in high school, no? You were friends with Dave B., John Git, Rhys and few others whom I remember thinking were cool. I grew up over by Rhys. I havent thought of him in a long time.

How did you happen upon this page? Either way, good to run into you!

And thanks for posting all the GvsB. I'll have to revisit them sometime.

@ Terry, I think we grew up in very similar ways, or at least in very similar head space. Im glad you got a kick out of the post. It was fun writing it, though I think making posts at work seriously compromises my grammar and spelling. ^_^

I always used to have to hear a song from the beginning. I remember playing the shit out of 7 seconds on the bus rides to school and anytime I got interrupted I would rewind to the beginning of the song. haha!! I still do that mostly, unless the songs are too long, like a lot of the post rock stuff. Its kind of hard to back up a Godspeed You! Black Emperor song when you only have a half hour ride on the subway.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Maybe the same headspace...maybe not...I didn't mention that before Metallica and Megadeth I was all about the Queensryche!

I can't imagine backing up a godspeed you black emperor song with a cassette player...it would be all..."hmmm, which quiet part is this...or is it a spot between songs...would a gybe! song even fit on a cassette side?

5:48 PM  
Blogger apoxonbothyourhouses said...

don, i want you

now

please

now

thanks man!

1:38 AM  
Blogger diego poloni said...

quicksand's "slip" it's the only album that made me cry!

can't get better than this! quicksand 4 life!

3:50 AM  
Blogger apoxonbothyourhouses said...

hey don

the cruise yourself file is weird...

mediafire is being a twat with it...

thanks anyway my friend!

4:03 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

I'm too young to have *ever* used a cassette walkman - but my previous mp3 player used to remember where I paused a track, and now my new one doesn't; it justs goes back to the start of the song (unless there's something else I need to figure it out). I actually find that very frustating, when I have got halfway through a long post-rock song to have to start all over again...

terry - a GY!BE song will fit on a (virtual) mixtape, at least if you just use one of the 'movements' in it - see track 3 here: http://hardcorefornerds.blogspot.com/2008/04/oi-endoxos-necros-mixtape-in-tragedy.html

I now try to melt people's minds by stitching all my mp3 mixtapes together, into one long track so no-one knows where the hell they are. Not sure how they're getting on with it...

7:23 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

re: Quicksand; I remember not much liking Slip the first time you posted it, kinda for the reasons ph suggests - so I might check out the 'crunchier' 7".

re: don, aman - cool name!

7:26 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

slinty!

9:13 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey Gabba, i cant lay claim to listening to walkmans on the school bus by the time GY!BE came out. I was already in college. In fact, I didnt hear GY!BE until about the turn of the decade. But in practice, on my iPod, I wont back up a song by them. By the time I got to work I wouldnt even be to the part I left of on. ^_^

10:14 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey Don/Gabe

Thanks for GVSB. Venus Luxure sounds great!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Hi Gabba,
Thanks for the bit on the virtual mix tape, i'll check out your link.

Too young to have used a cassette walkman? curse you! although i don't predate the cassette tape, i used to listen to vinyl...not because it was cool, but because it was more reliable than cassette and it sounded a lot better. Like your stitched mp3s it more or less forced people to sit and listen to entire slabs of songs. listening was a reverent process. we were rewarded with nice big album covers and record liners. i miss that, big time, and i'm not a vinyl elitist at all. i must be one of the oldest people who comes here! I think the last 45 i ever bought was by a band called "Against the Wall". Anyone ever hear of them? The track was called "Identify Me", a great straightedge anthem....and that's what got me started on stuff like Sick of it all and victory records stuff...

11:39 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

terry - i posted that ATW 7" on my blog here - http://harshdistractions.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

that thing is such a rager.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Icky said...

Thrasher, skateboards, Quicksand, record buying, shitty jobs, late-night tape-dubbing of radio shows.
Yeah, that was my 80's trip as well, except I did my time in a shithole town in mid-Michigan.

I wouldn't trade it for anything...

3:16 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

@ Terry, Against the Wall was awesome. Mike Hartsfield played in that band. He was the owner of New Age Records and also the guitarist for Outspoken who I always loved.

New Age had some great bands, including the first two Lifetime releases (which I still have) and Mouthpiece, Unbroken, Grip, Mean Season, Chorus of Disapproval.

@ Stephen, Somehow I never linked to your page. This will be remedied. It is an awesome page.

@ Lo-res, hell yeah.

---------

PS. guys. I am looking for the first Battery record, the Ashes record and stuff by a band called Holeshot. Any chance you guys got it? I used to have these and the ruled then, do they rule now? Holeshot was on Glue records, the same label that put out Lifetimes Seven Inches CD... I cant find any info, but I had two 7"s and they were silly fast.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Stephen, thanks, I'll check out your blog, and i'm already pulling in the against the wall as my turntable stopped working years ago and I wouldn't mind hearing it again.

Lo-Res, somehow mid-Michigan still somehow sounds more urban than "Fort St. John, British Columbia" which is considered pretty northern and sticksville in Canada.

Musically it was kind of desolate...I graduated in '87 so at the time all there was was ac/dc and (thankfully) metallica. Only the drama students had heard of the Smiths, and we had only heard of a couple of punk bands (sex pistols, dead kennedys, doa). I was definitely a late bloomer when I moved to a city and suddenly discovered "so much more".... but I do think that living in "crappier" places, be they small or isolated is a great way to build a strong love for something as personal as one's musical choices. I remember reading in some magazine about this underground band who boasted of a member who used to be in metallica. Their first album was about to come out and dude said they were gonna blow metallica away...I liked the interview and really dug the first two albums. Enjoying the fact that I was probably the first person in town with a special ordered copy of "killing is my business..." i became one of those guys that sought out all the "underground" stuff. Of course context is everything, and I'm still reading (on these blogs) about stuff I totally missed either then or now....when i first checked out this blog I don't think i'd heard of much more than half of what Blend was posting...In short, I agree with you, I'm pretty happy for me "small town, LOVES music" background.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

blend - are you talking about only the diehard remain? if so, i can upload that for you. just let me know. thanks for the compliment as well. i appreciate it!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

also. i think battery holds up well cause they were ahead of their time. ken olden wrote some ridiculous riffs and they still sound awesome. ashes doesn't hold up for me really though, but i didn't get that 7" until much later in my hc career so it was already dated.

6:19 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

@ Stephen, well, i found Only the Diehard Remain, and its as awesome as I remember. and Ashes, while they have some pretty good songs I think Elenas voice gets old after a bit. I wish she would scream like Brian McTernan once in a while.

I will post up Only the Diehard sometime soon. I have another thing or two to get up first.

And PH, I would love to hear the Deadsure album if you got it. Thanks!

10:15 AM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

Here is some more GvsB
"You Can't Fight What You Can't See", which judging by the plays on LastFM is their most popular. It's a great fuzzy rock album.
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4qjyly2bnk

Does anyone have the "Tropic of Scorpio", their first full-length? That LP (yes when everything was still on vinyl; which is part of the problem now) really got me into them.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

yeah, only the diehard remain is great, but i seem to listen to 'whatever it takes' and 'until the end' more often for some reason... not sure why.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ blend77: Hey, you said you were gonna post the MOONDOG re-issue soonish. That hasn't happend yet, has it?! Would be awesome if you could do that after all. It seems like noone on the net has done that so far. That band was good and needs more coverage! :-)

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it helps...

http://tuningmaze.blogspot.com/2008/03/girls-against-boys-tropic-of-scorpio.html

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for GVSB. Venus Luxure
Lisboa.

5:00 AM  
Blogger shermstixx said...

reading this post and the replies I feel kindof sweetly nostalgic. I'm turning 31 in a few days and have experiences that totally paralell you guys'... small town vermont, college radio, big walkmans, finding punka nd hardcore and never really looking back. slip was great and one of my favorite tapes at the time. psyched to hear it again. hope you guys are all doing well.
peace,
alex

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your such an annoying cliche. Go back and jerk off to highschool some more you pervert

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home