Friday, February 27, 2009

Cheap Tragedies - 2000 and 7: Demo



Hey all!! Sven from Prediction.Error.Signal (and an all around great guy with good tastes) pointed me in the direction of Tony Erbas new band, from Cleveland of course, and its damn good time.

For those of you who dont know Tony Erba, he originally sang for the hardcore band Face Value, who had one really great record (The Price Of Maturity) and a few not so great moments after that. Erba then went on to perform with H-100s, 9 Shocks Terror and Gordon Solie Motherfuckers. Erba has a certain quality to his voice, that while still simple and mostly in the talk/screamed punk vein, comes off with a great old school hardcore vibe.

Cheap Tragedies definitely mirror Erbas previous bands, and I could probably make a bunch of comparisons here, but suffice to say, its fast, catchy and definitely something I think a lot of you will like. Its hardcore at heart, relentless in a way, but not in a suffocating, life draining, low end rumble. Rather a high speed energy boost, like the good parts of Sonic the Hedgehog with lots of great bouncing breakdowns.

Excuse that absurd comparison. Im so tired and Cheap Tragedies is about the only thing keeping me awake right now. Sing-a-longs and lyrics that you can actually understand aren't such a bad thing either. You know, this reminds of some of later era Sick of it All if that stuff were actually any good. Or maybe like Kid Dynamites first album, but with much better vocals. I dont know, tell me what you think.

Check the myspace, notice they have a new LP out and another 7" and jump on board this old school juggernaut and never look back.

3 Comments:

Blogger luciferyellow said...

Ziiing on the SOIA comment, haha. I was gonna ask you how you liked them. I guess that answers that. I really have to get my hands on that new album.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Andrew TSKS said...

For the record, Tony Erba did NOT sing for H-100s or 9 Shocks Terror--he played bass in both bands. His brother (?) Chris Erba was the singer for H-100s, and a guy named Steve sang in 9 Shocks Terror. Erba did sing for Face Value and Gordon Solie, though.

6:57 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Thanks Andrew, I will fix that.
Yeah, I like Cheap Tragedies... stuff rules. Fun hardcore.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home