Wednesday, October 11, 2006

City of Caterpillar



I am not really sure how to put into words the City of Caterpillar. Of course I will try, but how to do it without being cliche or just comparing them to a bunch of other bands. I guess the truth is I am new to the City of Caterpillar, so I dont completely know my way around, but the whole thing is blowing me away. After hearing a few moments of some of the tracks I was already beginning to obsess. I knew I needed to hear this album, and now I know that you do too...
CoC use a variety of hardcore, punk and post-rock tactics to achieve one of the best records I had never heard before. And I don't know much about the band so I'm just gonna go ahead and compare them to a bunch of other bands. It's the only way. They sound like Fugazi and their whole DC crew, you know, the Nation of Ulysses, Rites of Spring and all those dudes, went and got into a fight with Drive Like Jehu and the Swing Kids and all their San Diego crew because they were competing for the post-punk crown, and the shit was about to get crazy when the whole Touch and Go family, with Steve Albini as the part of God and the boys from Slint surrounding him wearing halos, came to intervene, and Steve Albini said, "Dudes, you must chill" and so they jammed, and they built a city and they called it Caterpillar, and it was mighty and dense and sprawling. The darkest lows were only matched by the brightest highs. Thick angular post punk seemlessly juxtapozed with simple drifting passages of post-rock. This is the City of Caterpillar.
I was lucky enough to come across a split 7" of the CoC with pg.99. It is more of a curiosity but the CoC songs are decent. Thanks to BBQ and lifegrd31 at purevolume.

3 Comments:

Blogger Detectief Van Zwam said...

i found this one Overcast - Begging For Indifference
http://ifolder.ru/167925
Looking for more, I'll let you know when I found it.

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, loving this blog already. So much good music.

6:33 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

@ DZV

Nice! i had that 7" too...when i was young i used to sell my record collection and re-stock it with all new shit, i lost too much good stuff doing that but I was young and restless. i also lost a bunch of stuff in college...damn thieves...haha!

@ anon

thanks man, make sure to check back daily. ^_^

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home