Thursday, March 15, 2007

Texas is the Reason - s/t EP (1995)



This is a great mid 90's post hardcore EP. Texas is the Reason had a short existence from 1995 to 1997 releaseing only one EP, two split 7"s and a full length. In my opinion, despite the strengths of the band members, the EP was where it was at. They gained a bit of recognition for the full length Do You Know Where You Are?, but never matched the intensity seen on this release. Three songs that you can just play over and over. While retaining a good sense of the post-hardcore sound that was pioneered by bands like Quicksand, Shift and many others from the NYHC scene, they also had a keen sense of melody and lyricism and end up closer to the Sunny Day Real Estate school of Post-Hardcore. Probably due the the fact that the members came from such disparate backgrounds. Norm Arenas, who played with Shelter a number of times and also started Anti-Matter zine (one of the best at the time) and Chris Daly, drummer for 108 and previously Resurrection, were responsible for the birth of the band. They got Scott Winegard from Fountainhead, another post-hardcore band at the time, and Garret Klahn, who played for the poppy Equal Vision band Copper. These four different backgrounds would account for the sound of Texas is the Reason.

You can still purchase the Ep and the full length from Revelation Records. And you may as well form a nice addiciton to Wikipedia and go read more about the band and its members there.

7 Comments:

Blogger scyurick said...

I still consider side 2 of Do You Know Who You Are? my favorite side of a record ever, but these are all certainly great as well.

PS, I have their live recording as well so I can send that if there's any interest.

7:49 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yeah, i could check that out. thanks!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

I agree with you on this one, I don't think Do you know who you are comes close to the urgency of that 3 song thing. As soon as I heard that first track "if it's here when we get back it's ours" i'd found something of biblical importance, and it made me do a lot of air guitar and overplaying during my university dj stint. i ended up buying a lot of 'emo' bands to utter boredom and disappointment because they listened to texas is the reason. whatever, i love this ep and a fair part of the full length; great stuff

1:50 PM  
Blogger scyurick said...

Here's the live set,
http://www.sendspace.com/file/c1x4fx

3:07 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thnx sam!

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting E.P., although I doubt if I'd listen to a full album.

What gets me is the whiny vocals. Part of their charm, I suppose. But they kinda grate me 'cos they remind me of Sunny Day Real Estate (imho, a not only charmlessly but tortuously whiny band).

On the other hand, it is great thrashy, grungy post-hardcore.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this :D I love TITR and have been looking for this for quite a while.Great blog you have here =] and an awesome music taste aswell!!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home