Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hot Snakes - 1999 to 2005


Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight (2000)


Hot Snakes - Suicide Invoice (2004)

Motherfucking Hot Snakes! If you are a Drive Like Jehu fan (obviously they make me very horny) then you probably already know of the Hot Snakes. If you dont know, nows the time to listen up. Rick Froberg and John Reis reformed initially as a project, with Reis still in San Diego and still playing with Rocket From the Crypt and Froberg living in NYC working as an artist. Add Gar Wood to bass and Jason Kourkounis on drums, previously from the Delta 72 and voila! Hot Snakes.

The Hot Snakes take the basics of what the two had achieved in DLJ and played a much more garage rock style of punk, but still with that blazing style that fans have come to know so well. Automatic Midnight is a straight up burner, opening with If Credits What Matters I'll Take Credit. This song is no nonsense and would be hard to follow up if it were any other band. As it is, they continue this aural onslaught for not only the rest of the album, but for two more albums after this.

Truly an athletic feat of its own, every Hot Snakes song is brimming with fire and danger. Their last album, Audit in Progress, featured Mario Rubalcaba on drums. Mario, besides being a professional skater in the 80's and 90's also played for San Diego legends Clikatat Ikatowi and The Black Heart Procession. Clearly he is a man with skills... But it is Reis and Froberg who draw the most attention here, with their guitars whizzing and whirring by each other like the blades of a lawnmower.

Hot Snakes, indeed.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hot Snakes are awesome. Thanks!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

noice, cheers for uploading that
i think that audit in prgress i sthe best album thou, love listenin to plenty for all

cheers aagain
aaron

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man! You have asked awhile ago to write stuff to you and all. I really apreciate your blog and have found some really interesting stuff in it during the past months and I keep coming back. I've been listening to 31Knots a lot lately. I saw them live yesterday and they are amazing musicians with lots of character and true to their music. Also Nels Cline Singers, Les Thugs, Shellac, I got back into Napalm Death, Bleeding Kansas, the new Dinosaur Jr. etc...
I also got some Fugazi sessions that were recorded by Steve Albini during the In on the Kill Taker era. Amazing stuff that u probably have. if not I can send you a link. Thx for doing this. I don't like everything you post, but enjoy most of it. Take care

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the blog
can u upload audit in progress
thank you john

1:19 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

@ apt13.

dick. haha! pitchfork is good. but DLJ is the jam...

and to anon

I looked for a link to Audit, but could not find it...Auto Midnight is my fave though...but i really like all of them..

@ destroyer

i have never heard the steve albini sessions...i would be very psyched to hear them! thanks!

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please upload "audit...". i love everything j.reis did. hopefully a new band soon. great blog. cheers.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the link to the Albini sessions I had mentioned:
http://jamiesrunoutgroove.blogspot.com/2007/02/fugazi-in-on-killer-albini-demos.html

Enjoy, it's fugazi with the shellac flavor.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Great stuff! I agree that Drive Like Jehu is the bomb for...what it is, but it is the first two Hot Snakes albums that I keep coming back to. I like the fact that they could relax into a groove, not so hyperkinetic, but when they decided to rock (well, in my opinion they really only "rocked" on Automatic Midnight) it was almost as frantic as DLJ.

Having Gar Wood in the band...I'm actually quite fond of his old band, Tanner. They were very three piece sounding, and Wood's vocals were kind of high, like Froberg's, and shrill. They did a cool cover of TV Casualty for the Violent World tribute to the Misfits, which is one of my favourite tribute albums.

Yup, Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes, Rocket from the Crypt, John Reis has got to be tickled with the legacy he's created already.

4:09 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

@ Anon

I generally dont like upping, mainly cuz it destroys my internet speed. If I do it will be when I got out. Which will be soon, so I'll up it befire I leave.

@ Destroyer.

thanks for that link. Interesting sounds...having liked Fugazi for so long, to hear them get he albini treatment its weird...I kinda like it, its got that bass punch and that guitar zing the albini is so good at.

@ terry

John Reis is god. Im putting pitchfork right now...

12:39 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Cool! I knew about Pitchfork and who's in it but I've never actually heard 'em, or any of Reis's other stuff actually (Sultans...) so this will be nice to check out. Keep up the good work, you've really got a great music community going here. I'm also enjoying some of the new directions you're showing with your postings (the metal and 90s hardcore)

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home