Friday, June 06, 2008

Friday Is A Good Day For Grind...

ASSÜCK - MISERY INDEX (1996)




PRESTO? - ODIO PURO CONCENTRADO (2002)




I thought I'd switch things up a bit and give you a double dose on top. Seeing as how A) I missed last weeks crucial death metal post and B) both of these records together are just over 30 minutes long, then it behooves me to drop two whole tons of furious political grindcore on your unsuspecting heads.

Being that Grindcore shares many things in common with Death Metal it doesnt seem too far a stretch that these are served up to you today. In fact, Grindcore is the monogloid inbred cousin of both Death Metal and Hardcore. You all know this.

Lets dig into the goods. Assück. First of all, Umlauts... or just one in this case. Can anyone make the correlation? That's right. Motley Crüe. If the Crüe were to meet up with Assück in an alley, it would be a blood bath, with hair flying everywhere, torn pleather and lipstick smears all over the concrete. Assück can literally liquify the entrails of lesser metal bands.

What sticks out to me about this release is the amount of catchy riffs that exist within the one minute framework of brain blasting grind elegance. Sure they drop the blast beats like Dresden circa 1945, but they lock into some serious grooves that could almost have you genuflecting to the mighty Riff if you werent literally (or metaphorically) stomping every innocent thing in your path. The cookie monster vocals are in full effect for maximum misanthropy with all the intelligible lyrics spouting angry anti-capitalist agendas... When all is said and done a breakdown sounds a million times more powerful when book ended with spastic bursts of hellish noise and thus revolution sounds that much closer to realization.

Presto? are something similar yet also quite different. For the sake of putting two things together for the sheer fun of the image in my mind, Presto? sounds like the bastardized child of Los Crudos and Eyehategod, or maybe some of the doomier Enewetak, seeing as how the longest song on this album is 1:11. They use a far lower end of the spectrum to bludgeon their point right into your head. You may get hives from listening to this record

Zen friend and one time contributor Destroyer dropped this on me a ways back and it is a "go to" for pure grind on grind action. Presto? are a Brazillian band who sing in Portuguese. Despite the language barrier, if this doesnt want to make you overthrow governments, and I mean plural, like, all of them, then youre just not getting it or youre in the wrong building altogether. Presto? drops ridiculous riffs within a 30 second period, going from full on blast beats to awesome punk hardcore and then unleashing an atonal doom riff that makes your spleen pump 12 times more blood. If you made it through Assück then youre adrenaline is already maxed and your heart is straining to put up with the extra stress. By the time you get to Presto? your heart is actually doing a circle pit inside your chest.

The title means Pure Concentrated Hate and that is pretty much what you get here. Its nothing but smiles for these guys as they generously start off the record with dirt caked bass riff that is slowed down. Its a land speed record of grinding atonality from there on out. One amazing highlight is Potencial Pra Nada which starts off like a Crudos song veering into absurd blast beats and choppy breakdowns before shearing off all sense of hope and light with stupendous riff that would make many doom bands want to put down the bong and start writing doomy grind core. There are many of these moments on this record.

Many people know of the mighty Assück. Fewer people know of Presto? I strongly urge you to check out both of them. If you like one then you are guaranteed (a one time Zen and the Art of Face Punching Guarantee!!) to like the other. Listen to them back to back and try not to hurt anyone in the general vicinity.

Also, Happy Birthday to Nick over at Damn Those Bloodsuckers. He posted the other two Assück records, Anticapital and Blindspot, so you should make sure to go get those and wish him a Happy B-day.

That is all. Play nice.

24 Comments:

Blogger blend77 said...

neither of the above album artworks are the real ones. the Assück one is the Misery Index t-shirt and the Presto? cover was just too small, so I swiped something from their myspace page.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Death Metal Dan said...

How'd you know I was just listening to Anticapital on my train ride home from work yesterday? Hahaha.

I LOOOVE Assuck. I dig Anticapital more than Misery Index although both are great. And on a side note, the band Misery Index are also great.

2:14 PM  
Blogger METRO/SEA said...

thanks for the birthday wish blend! youre the best

2:36 PM  
Blogger An Attitude Exhumed said...

I love the person who invented the distortion pedal.

6:36 PM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

i saw assuck way down in tampa in like 88 or 89 open up for slap of reality! haha. man florida was a funny place. i remember assuck being a 2 piece and playing some of the most god awful music i have ever heard. saw them numerous times through the mid 90s and found it hard to believe it was the same band. i also remember ther being heavy recruitment from krsna and buddhist temples at the tampa shows back then. good times.

am i the only one through this blog lexicon that has no history of liking death metal? i think i just skipped over that as a youngster. my lineage goes from men at work and run DMC being the first cassettes i ever bought. then transferring (somehow) into the smiths, joy division and the cure. then somehow transferring to hardcore in the mid/late 80s. i think i bypassed death metal all together.

11:34 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

No you are not alone. No Death Metal for me either. And I still can't get myself to listen to it (and I really gave those bands featured here lately a fair chance...). To misappropriate some GangStarr lyrics: "It's mostly tha voice, that gets you up. It's mostly tha voice, that makes you buck..."

1:28 AM  
Blogger apoxonbothyourhouses said...

i'm not a big death metal fan...

i mean, i think mayhem is relatively funny to read (in a gg allin sort of way)...

i like some thrash metal but i went from NWA and BDP/KRS-One to the ned's atomic dustbin to the smiths and joy division and then minor threat (i can't listen to that discog. anymore...that's how many times it was on) and fugazi and jawbox to jawbreaker and then to the Gravity bands and the North Carolina crew i was friends with (Cornelius and Griver (obscenely underrated band) and Rites Reserved)...

but death metal is not my cup of tea...but i dig that we all have such varying influences that converge (ha!) here...

5:06 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

firstly, grindcore > death metal for me definitely. I like the Assuck in particular, real exhilarating listen, and true about the 'elegance' of their sound. And I had been wondering, when I saw the Portugese titles in your last.fm widget, what sort of Los Crudos-type music you were listening to!

secondly, really like the new header. Real groovy!
Although I'm not sure about all the white space above and below it. It looks like it could do better scrunched in bit more with the background, but more importantly your blog header now takes up a whole screen before I see the latest post, which is a little awkward.
Also, is the '..' deliberate? Cos if it isn't, then you should choose "display picture instead of description" which is what I do for mine. Hopefully that's some constructive criticism!

7:32 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Hey gabba, thanks for the criticism. I dont know a thing about HTML so it didnt really turn out as super as I planned.

Thanks for liking the type though. I need to figure out how to get rid of some of the white space... and I tred to leave the header blank, but it wouldnt let me in "settings" so i typed in periods... I have a lot to learn when it comes to web design...

i would like the first post to appear as it usually did. I am gonna mess with it today to see if I can figure any of this stuff out. I might re-design a bit too...

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, this brings back memories. I lived down in Gainesville from 91-99. Assuck shows were pretty fun, especially when they started covering Angel of Death towards the end of their run.

The drummer was so metal, he got a degree in metallurgy.

9:38 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

blend - if you go to [edit layout], [configure header] it gives the option to place your image (which is now your title) either 'behind title and description' or 'instead of title and description'. Basically if you want your title to be a graphic rather than text, you have to put your description on the side, placing the image instead of title and description on the header. That's what I've done on my blog, having only a picture as the header on top.

10:41 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

haha! Metallurgy!

gabba, i cant seem to get the box to disappear from around my image... this will take some tweaking..

10:52 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

jesus, what did you do! :)

I don't think you can get rid of that box, not easily anyway. That's around all of my headings, but it's ok because they're dark to light...

maybe if you put the upside-down black tree thing into the background again, and narrow the title graphic, they would fit into a smallish area on the top. Good news is you should be able to replace the periods now... not sure why things are no longer centred. I have my own HTML/CSS problems at the moment, so I know how you feel.

Happy tweaking!

11:01 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey, i just reverted to classic. I didnt have the new Layout system so I was lacking some of those options. I had updated it just now while it was looking terrible and was trying some things out but it wasnt working to my liking.

I have another idea now. ^_^

11:30 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

hehe - perfect! or nearly so... :)
I was wondering whether you were on classic or what/ I reverted for an hour or so myself last night, while trying to sort out my paragraph spacing (sorta anal, I suppose, but I NEED them!). still haven't got it back.

I presume you can crop a 1/3rd off the top of the title graphic, get rid of some of the white space. Or are you going for the Blood is Truth ostentatious-giant-header look?:)

check out my blog for some new photos + punk goodness (more of the former than the later at the moment!)

1:33 PM  
Blogger R. Surf said...

It´s the first time I entered in this blog, and for my surprise a brazilian band featuring in here!Amazing!

I love this record from Presto?, I bought when it was out, i was 14. The first one is amazing too, the "A.Q.N.P" but it´s in a more hardcore way. But the third one "Atentado Sonoro" they gave up hardcore and became totally insane grindcore, not for me, cause I enjoy the singing way in the ultra fast songs of Presto?. Just check the song "Correria" and "Aos velhos tempos" and you will understand what I mean!

This year, janurary i guess, I saw they playing for the first time in my life, at Sao Paulo. My expectations at the first moment was they would play "òdio puro..." and would be a amazing show, but not happenned and i´ve got frustrated. In fact, was not a good show at all.

Cheers from Brazil,
Renzo

3:25 PM  
Blogger Death Metal Dan said...

@proven_hollow: I was obviously a huge metalhead. I am actually meaning to make a post about my musical upbringing, but I haven't gotten to it yet. And then I'll explain the story of how I got my nickname. Hehe.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man! I noticed you scrobbling Presto the other day on Last.fm. I am glad you enjoyed it! Good post! Cheers!

7:20 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yeah dude! thanks a lot for that. It's a rip roaring good time. I only hope people check it out as much as Assuck.

@ Renzo, thanks for the comments. Keep coming back and saying hello!

11:04 AM  
Blogger ryanmhare said...

Hey,
I didn't know how to contact you, but I've been digging the bands on this blog for awhile now. I was wondering if you were interested in reviewing my band Monera's CD. Check us out and let me know if you are down and i'll gladly send you the disc to post it: www.myspace.com/moneramusic

Thanks and keep it comin,
Ryan

2:38 PM  
Blogger Icky said...

Been digging this Presto? stuff, thanks for turning me on to something new.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big metal fan, but I gived this band a chance (because some comments) and I found it great. It's a cool avant-garde death metal band with some post-rock and progressive elements. If you guys have some other albums, please link them. They are now in a new proyect called Parabstruse (yeah, the same name of their 2007 album).

Parabstruse (2007)

http://rapidshare.com/files/45799732/S___A____L_____P.rar.html

pass: http://www.mediaportal.ru

Greets!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice typography! It will take time to get used to it.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Paul Staxx Spraget said...

Grindcore is love! Spread the love like VD! Thanks for sharing the love and giving me the clap!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home