Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Side C - An Addendum to NYHC



Quickly now, lest the boss know that I am making posts instead of making prints. Hehe...

Side C, it began as the NYHC post, see below. So I made that post, listened to the mix all week, got damn excited about it, wrote about the two areas of NYHC that existed in the end of that particular decade and wrapped it up, succinct, to the point, but as I knew at the time, though happily looked past to make a concise point in an easy way, I overlooked some of the more fringe bands of the NYHC scene that fell in neither the youth crew group or the tough guy group. This was in part due to the fact that I wasnt aware of all the bands that populated this fringe part of the scene. Of course Born Against was the first and foremost of these that I felt deserved their due, but I did not feel right in adding this third sound to this concise little mix I made. Born Against were sort of anomaly of the NYHC scene, even going to far as to create epic beef with some of the heavyweights in the scene.

So it is my intent to bring to light some of the other bands that werent repping the same styles as the Rev crowd or the Schism crowd or the Blackout crowd. And so it goes that I owe a large part of this post to Luciferyellow for sharing with me some of his favorites of that scene. Their is more variation in sounds within this group and I think that makes for not only an interesting mix, but an interesting way to view how varied and broad the NYHC scene really was. Some of these bands were from outlying areas of NYC, such as Rorschach, Merel and Native Nod, coming from Jersey. But if Youth of Today (originally from Connecticut) and Bold (originally from my hometown in Westchester, NY) could be NYHC, then why not the whole goddamn tri-state area?

It is also worth noting the subject matters that these bands tend to cover. Whereas much of the youth crew scene sang about being straight edge, being pure, being true and sticking up for you friends, and much of the tough guy scene (this is NOT an actual scene, I am calling this Tough Guy because of the power of the music and the image of band members looking tough, not because they actually bullied people around and talked all tough, though I wouldnt cross any of them either, but thats just NYC, especially at the time), but much of the tough guy scene sang about not taking shit, revenge, hit me and i'll hit you back, help me and i'll help you back; Where as those bands had those messages, these Side C bands have a much more politically conscious message and/or personal reflective message that colored the output of the hardcore scene well into the nineties.

So, grab this, get a taste. This is side C to the NYHC post. The fringe styles of NYHC.

1. Won't Allow - Citizens Arrest
2. The A-Train - GO!
3. Yellow Journalism - Yuppicide
4. Here Today... - Nausea
5. Crossings - Native Nod
6. Sticks To The Skin - 1.6 Band
7. My Sweet Dull God - Merel
8. Checkmate - Rorschach
9. Nine Years Later - Born Against

16 Comments:

Blogger feeeding5000 said...

Hey! Long time downloader, first-time poster. I really enjoy your mixes, and you always unearth the coolest hardcore/emo from a decade where I was more concerned about pokemon than 7"s.
I wanted to know if you could up (re-up?) some Rorschach, because I can't find anything. Thanks.

...Tough guy doesn't count as a scene? What about the early-mid '90s, with bands like District 9, Skarhead, Merauder, and other assorted rap-metal-esque NYHC bands? I would put those in a separate category than the posi SXE bands. Dunno if they did so at the time, though.

5:02 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Eh, Tough Guy is a scene to me, but I dont want to proclaim it as such, so I injected the idea that it was only my opinion. But yeah, all those bands you mention fit within what I would associate with that. Breakdown, Raw Deal and maybe even Judge.

I can up the Rorschach disco for you. I have it at home...

5:42 PM  
Blogger Jared Dillon said...

Nausea, Merel, Born Against, Native Nod and Rorschach all on one mix tape.

thats heaven.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Born against are fucking dead that's what the answering machine said looks
like this is ti!!! They talked one too many shit about the working class and
the government did you hear what those faggots said in some fanzine someone
else read I heard they're a bunch of spoiled little rich kids who need to get
their asses kicked fucking ingrates! fukcing pussies!! Born against are
fucking dead dead dead born against are fucking dead by order of the post
master general just like the panthers only this time for real because the
feds have tapped their telephone



fuck sick of it all.

1:06 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

haha! nice one!

1:13 AM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

what about (a).p.p.l.(e) someone, somewhere had to be listening to them and weren't they from brooklyn or somewhere near there?
also, what about life's blood? i'm just being an ass, great mix as ususal, definitely one of my favorite born against tracks. nnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiinnnnneeee years into the future!

2:00 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

I got the New Breed comp from Lucifer. It has some Life's Blood. So does Where The Wild Things Are.

I just bought Nine Patriotic Hymns LP today.. along with Shellac - At Action Park and GY!BE - F#A#oo...
I have them on CD but I felt that they looked better on vinyl. 6_6

2:46 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

heres Rorschach - Autopsy
http://www.sendspace.com/file/saqzyn

3:41 AM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

all good vinyl choices, i kind of wish Prank would have released battle hymns as a 10" but what can you do, i still have the vermiform copies to prove how old i am. yay!
i picked up the boris smile lp and torche's meanderthal yesterday, both records fucking crush me, plus the boris LP has like three extra tracks not on the cd!!! (u.s. or japanese version)
speaking of which, i have to put together another ebullition order today. gonna grab some algernon cadwallader, portraits of past, and what amanda woodward is readily available on vinyl, plus apparently the brainworms LP is back in print on vinyl.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolute perfection.

that is all.
brendan

1:00 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

Excellent choices all around, that almost goes without saying. Like sweetbabyjaysus I also thought Life's Blood would have warranted inclusion on this list, though, despite (or because of) the substantial overlap with Born Against. I read somewhere that Prank Records plans to release a Life's Blood discography. Does anyone know whether that is going to happen or not?

1:13 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yeah, they repressed Brainworms and gave it a gatefold cover. Always nice. They have a new split w/ Tubers coming out. I have the Daitro / Sed Non Satiata LP and Love Like... Electrocution on the way.

Lucifer, I admittedly am not as familiar with Lifesblood. Though you did put some on that stuff you gave me. Oh well.

2:05 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

dude the tubers split is sick, brainworms cover rites of spring's "for want of". i have the tour edition cover (which is just pages from an atlas folded into a seven inch sleeve, i got the oklahoma edition!), still need to send off to rorshach records for the actual cover.
as for the life's blood discography Prank does have the rights to it, as for when it might get an official release is still up in the air.

2:23 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

Tim, don't take the Life's Blood comment too serious. That's just me, bitching and whining. Although, Sheer Terror was omitted again, and I didn't complain a bit; so that should count as progress ;-)

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blend, you should check out ghostlimb's new record if ya haven't.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is some of my favorite NYHC. Lifesblood did the youth crew sound better than most of the big time bands and the lyrics actually made sense.

I am old enough to have seen a few of these bands. The Born Against, Rorschach, Downcast tour was pretty amazing. They played 2 different shows here in Mpls, one of which was at the Profane Existence house and Sam ragged on the crusties for smoking. Pretty funny. The last time they played here Sam spent most of their set shadowboxing in the back of the venue. Pretty annoying when you are really excited to see one of your favorite bands.

Merel still stands the test of time.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home