Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Rollkicker Laydown 7"



So, long story, short, or even longer, depending on how quickly I can type (end of the day, at the old job, red ta go!):

It all starts with Sweet Baby Jaysus (how sweet it is!) from the wonderful and often hilarious and quite insightful blog Burning Down the Dreams of Forever. Jay writes me often here and around a year ago we established a repoire based on a similar fascination with the same music scene that we all gush about over here. See, it's already becoming verbose in structure. I even used the completely unnecessary word "verbose". What. The. Fuck. How come you people dont call me out on this shit?!

Where was I? Oh! Talking with the Jaysus (nobody fucks with the Jaysus) who at the time was living in the great northwestern state of Seattle, where one of my nearest and dearest friends lives. I mentioned an excursion I was to take out there and inquired about anyone from the area that may be interested in meeting up and scoring some beers and tossin out a few words of mutual appreciation for hardcore. Jay replies, "I live here, we will hang, we will blaze" Yes, kids, blazing, tough! Being that I was to spend most of my time in the mountains this was an agreeable thing.

So, fast forward, but not too fast or you'll miss the good stuff... I fly, I land (as is sometimes the case) and, holy shit! I am across the country! (A rare feat for this earth-bound sort.) I meet up with Fooch and we proceed to drink, only the best the Pacific Northwest has to offer, Rainier Beer. Giant ones. At the Sloop Tavern. As big as my head! And so I call Jay and he says he's slave to the grind and when he gets off he will meet up. So continuing to fast forward we meet up and share some stories and some brews. This is essentially my first Pen Pal meetup. As lame as that sounds, it was quite awesome. We got irie on the curb and parted ways. I met with him again and he mentions he has this 7" he really wants me to rip and post. That is what you are seeing at the beginning of this post. I recognize the DeSoto Records imprint but am at a loss for who Rollkicker Laydown is. Jay says "it's J. Robbins from Jawbox. A little project they did at the beginning of the 90's". Unsure of whether to take this supposed gem off of him Jay assures me that it is fine. I pack it in my bags and depart. Take off (the worst part), Fly. Land. NYC. Home again.

Now, that was last August. I still have this 7" and I never ripped it. In fact my ripping tools were never quite great to begin with (recall my one channel rip of the Absinthe 10" and you will understand.). To further complicate the situation my turntable needle got all busticated and being the lax individual I am I have still not replaced it. So I have this 7" which I need to rip and send back to Jay, who now lives in Tulsa, OK.

Well, wouldnt you know it, this guy Spavid on the blog Willfully Obscure posted it, and forgive me that I can't remember who pointed this out to us, but needless to say Jay and I were psyched. I had been wanting to hear it and Jay was being very patient with me. So, without any further delays, download this lost gem from the early 90's DC era. Jawbox, Government Issue, Gray Matter and Wool alumns. It sounds like two Jawbox songs that could have easily fit on either Grippe or Novelty and they are both incredible songs. Thanks very much to Spavid at Willfully Obscure for the original upload (Read his post for actual info regarding the band) and thanks to Jay for entrusting me with his record. Jay! I am still waiting for your address so I can send it back your way.

PS. I LOVE these two songs!

4 Comments:

Blogger 1009 said...

took this the other day & neglected to leave a "thank you," so here it is.

sometimes j's penchant for precision leaves me a bit cold (one of his pet peeves is, reportedly, that the guitar is not a well-tempered instrument), but he is always able to throw the most unlikely melodies over riffs that are seemingly anti-melodic. nothing he's recorded has ever come cheap. speaking as a guitarist i am humbled every time i hear him, & the few times i have been lucky enough to see him ... forget about it.

keep up the good work! you've got some readers out there.

3:38 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

it took me a while to get around listening to this, but I did so today and yeah, it is really good. I'm only a fan of some of Jawbox's stuff so I like the way this is like, but not like, them - so to speak.

also, like the back story!

4:22 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

it took me a while to get around listening to this, but I did so today and yeah, it is really good. I'm only a fan of some of Jawbox's stuff so I like the way this is like, but not like, them - so to speak.

also, like the back story!

4:22 PM  
Blogger speedreeder said...

Hey! Great post! I love this record.
I got the lowdon from Mr. Jay Robbins when Jawbox toured and this record came out. These two songs were two of the last Government Issue songs ever written. I believe the songs were co-written by Robbins and Lyle. I guess Mr., Robbins could not let these two songs die, and he got the band back together (minus John Stabb!) and they recorded this great record. Burning Airlines played "No Voices In the Wire" when they did their first tour!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home