Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sevens - 777



Hey all!

Not much going on over this way. A failed attempt at a Sinaloa show occurred in which I biked out to my former nemesis neighborhood, Bushwick, to soak in the shadows and scratch my head, wondering where the show was actually happening. Turns out it was cancelled, but unless you frequent Viva La Vinyl or other lesser known places you wouldnt have known this as no one made any mention of it on Myspace. I guess I am archaic or just not in the know, but either way I got a really good work out biking out there and back in high gear. I am attempting to resurrect my knee from its damaged slumber. That old story another day...

For today, and in honor of the amazing weather we have been experiencing in NYC, I have been listening to the soulful grooves of DC's Sevens. Sevens were the Sullivan brothers, Mark and Bobby, Chris Farral, drummer of Hoover, and Josh LaRue from the Sorts. The web is more complicated than that, of course, and if you like a good read you can check out Gabbagabbahey's Hoover Genealogy over at Hardcore for Nerds. He has been chronicling the diversity of styles that the members of that amazing band went on to propogate and continue to do to this day.

It should be noted that this release features Joe Lally playing bass and was released on his record label Tolatta. I am not sure how the instrumentation breaks down here. I guess Mark is playing drums on this release? So that leaves me to wonder what Chris Farral played as he was drummer for The Sorts and Hoover. Regardless, though I dont have much of a frame of reference for this 7", it is an awesome little number and the song "Hammer" in particular is a really good jammy sort of track that would sound good outdoors in the summer. If you ever liked Rain Like The Sound of Trains then its a good bet you will like this as well. Sweat it up and enjoy Sevens.

Proven Hollow posted this a ways back, and as he is a self proclaimed Sullivan brothers fan you should check out his original post for some more info. I just want to spread this one around...

10 Comments:

Blogger Jared Dillon said...

happened to me with a ...Who Calls So Loud show the other day. drove about an hour and a half to the supposed address and there was nothing around but a chain link fence and a few suburbs. sucks.

5:21 PM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

check you out with a sullivans post! haha. this 7" is great. actually i think it is their best, as their next 7" and 12" got a little "goofy" in parts. in addition, don;t mention sevens to josh larue, when i did his eyes rolled and he wouldnt talk about it. ouch. anyway, instrumentals break down as follows on this recording:

bobby sullivan: percussion, vocals
mark sullivan: guitar, vocals
josh larue: drums
joe lally: bass

this is definitely the hardest release to come by from the band, but if you are "feeling the groove," go ahead and check out the other 7" and 12"/CD, just watch out for songs about vitamins and being vegan.

and if you havent ever heard kingface then you should just quit.

12:54 AM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

hey, thanks for the plug. the full link if anyone want's to follow it is: http://hardcorefornerds.blogspot.com/search/label/Hoover%20Genealogy%20Project

I just checked bandtoband, and according to them Joe Lally played with them in 95, and Christopher Farrall took his place in 96. Or, like Proven Hollow says ;)

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really into Rain Like the Sound of Trains for a while and spent too much time getting all their vinyl. Always a band that I wanted to like way more than I actually liked.

OK what we really need here is a Chris Thomson post. That man was pretty much always in good bands, (started out in Soulside), Ignition, Circus Lupus, Las Mordidas, Monorchid, Skull Kontrol...uh...did he do anything after that? And would I want to know?

5:01 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

as Phil pointed out when we had our last CT appreesh, he was also in the Red Eyed Legends, and trust us, you dont want to know.

His legacy is on hold until he comes correct with something as cool as Skull Kontrol.. or, or, or... Circus Lupus...

I liked RLTSOT, but this Sevens 7" rules it, the most!

I didnt know he was in Ignition...

5:13 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

thanks for putting in the link, too. I know I've barely touched on anything involving the Sorts or Christopher Farral, but I just got two 7"s by the Sorts and Sea Tiger in the post this morning (with Sinaloa's latest & ...Who Calls So Loud). They're pretty cool, so I'll rip 'em and do a Chris Farral post soon.

5:17 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yeah Gabba, I think I was supposed to float you all the Sorts stuff. I'll toss it on my pod and rip them at work today... leaving in a few minutes...

Hey Phil, thanks for the breakdown on who did what. Im surprised LaRue was playing drums. I guess he is multi talented. I saw the Sorts at Brownies in NYC (w/ Ted Leo's Sin Eaters) and I was officially floored by how awesome his guitar playing was. I went out and bought whatever I could find. And then you filled in the rest of the holes...

9:09 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

killer. yeah these bands are pretty much mostly comprised of very tallented multi-instrumentalists, and i think they changed with every band..haha. i think larue played drums in rlt/sot as well if memory serves correctly. he also has a solo album out which i have never heard. i think its kinda noodley/spacey guitar stuff. id be interested in hearing it if someone finds it.

12:53 PM  
Blogger James Joyce said...

Hey Phil, Josh's wife went to high school with Sue and I, so we go right to the source for the LaRue discography. He has two solo albums so far (both released in Japan only), and has played on many Him records (i.e. Doug Scharin), including a really interesting one called Ultrahim that was recorded late last year in collaboration with some guys from Japan. Josh played drums in RLTSOT, Sea Tiger (which is the Sorts bassman on guitar and Josh on drums and no Chris), and I believe the beginning of the Sevens, but then switched to bass after Joe Lally left. He played guitar in the Sorts and on his Him and Solo recordings, but is originally a drummer.

1:25 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

Anybody know when Chris Farral joined Sea Tiger? I posted a 7" of theirs here - http://hardcorefornerds.blogspot.com/2008/08/sorts-sea-tiger-how-did-you-get-there.html - (along with one from the Sorts) and I'm not sure if that's the original Stuart Fletcher/Josh La Rue line-up or the full album one...

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home