Thursday, October 12, 2006

Triple Post to get through Friday

Hello again. Im tired, but I have a few things that are really exciting. I have one of the primary reasons this whole music thing exists, one that is a good follow up to the City of Caterpillar post, and the last which is before my time, but is a seriously shredding record that all must have.... Excuse the short descriptions, like I said, I'm tired. Plus I've got lots of goodies this weekend.

Also, leave comments! The best part about this is meeting people that like what I like or can show me something new. So hit me up!.....Okay, here we go.



SICK OF IT ALL - BLOOD, SWEAT AND NO TEARS (1989)

This is the record that started it all for me. A young grommet skateboarding around town needs his fix of amped up music. Thankfully I lived close enough to Seton Hall who had a great radio show, 'cause NYC radio shows are terrible. Problem is, WSOU would play all the metal late at night. So I would tape the shows while I slept and have a new tape of unknown goodies to listen to on the bus to school in the morning. One morning I heard Sick of it All. It was instant! I loved it! It was better than Metallica and Iron Maiden, waaaaay better! So I desperately sought out any Sick of it All i could find. And thus, I came across this record. Blood Sweat and No Tears. My friends and I became obsessed. It was perfect for skating, perfect for fucking shit up, and perfect for everything in our angsty young lives. This record is the reason I got into Punk and Hardcore. I still have the tape I bought in 1990, and I will never give it up. Anyway, the rest of Sick of it All's legacy is history. They are still around, same four guys, same ethics, and same attitude. NYHC as its finest.



CIRCUS LUPUS - SUPER GENIUS

A kind of hybrid between the Jesus Lizard and the DisChord sound. They have the lurching groove and the spindly, non-linear guitar patterns of the Lizard. Chris Thompson even has a little bit of David Yow in him (hint of a future post ^_~) Circus Lupus also has the trademark dissonance that has become associated with the Dischord Sound. Like everything on Dischord though, they have their own flavor. This album should be placed right at the top of your "To Buy" list from Dischord Records along with all Fugazi, Q and not U and Nation of Ulysses. Of course you should buy many other things from them, as well, as they are one of the best record labels on the planet. As a matter of fact, you should also buy this next one...



Faith/ Void Split LP

Thats right. You NEED this, man. The legendary split LP from two of DC's most important bands. Faith is Ian MacKayes bro's band (and I bet he's tired of that comparison by now), Alec MacKaye, also of Ignition and the Warmers. They have a good sound, though a little derivative of the scene they were from. But thats not a bad thing at all when your scene is Minor Threat, Bad Brains and Scream and other assorted hardcore and punk luminaries. Void on the flip-side have one of the most Ferocious sounds in all of punk. If "punk" means "pissed off", these guys were freaking sociopaths. This is some of the darkest punk. Screeching feedback, snarling vocals, and not one ray of light. This is the way punk should be. I think most people agree this is their favored side of the split. Faith is really good too though. Void just brought some completely new level of angst to the table this time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Coons said...

I've been looking for this, thank you! I'm going to post Void's Condensed Flesh demo on my blog sometime soon, so keep checking up for that. :)

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home