Sunday, March 04, 2007

toe - New Sentimentality - EP (2006)



toe are a Japanese instrumental band, focusing on a more acoustic sound, though occasionally adding electric elements. They are tightly wound and resemble some of the polyrhythmic math-rock acts out there, but toe rest nicely on their melodies, never letting the complexity get the best of their tunes. Instead each song has a strong current of melody with alot of tight fret work that occasionally loosens up and becomes almost dreamy. They then snap back into action making the songs dance and jump in front of you with propulsive drum work. The first hlaf of the EP has a tendency to drift by, while still remaining very pretty, but the whole album regains control of your attention by the last two tracks. Altogether good stuff, for fans of Maps and Atlases, Pele, and Tera Melos and even Tortoise.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I've been looking for this album for quite some time now and I'm glad to see that I found it here. the problem is that I can't download from mediafire. so my 2 questions are, what happened to sendspace? and, can you upload it in another file sharing website?

thanks for all your time and albums you've posted in this blog :)

5:53 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hmmm. sendspace has been acting weird...

check back...i may up it in the future...

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok thanks blend77

7:28 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

I definitely like this. After inundating myself with pelican, Explosions in the Sky and a fair bit of Isis-esque instrumental stuff it's nice to get a bit off the beaten track. Maps and atlases were a nice departure as well. I like this one because of the lighter, more technical approach, but it's still got something gripping about it, which is good. A lot of the time bands that dance and noodle around just don't grab me by the er, nuts and give them a little squeeze (complaint I have with Don Cab) so you know they got groove. I think Toe manages.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home