Monday, April 16, 2007

Nick Cave - Live Seeds (1993)



An amazing collection of live Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Nick Cave is one of my favorite rock and roll icons. He continues to impress and hes been doing it for well over 20 years now. Grinderman, his new album with Bad Seeds members Warren Elles, Martyn Casey and Jim Sclavunos is almost out, and it is amazing. Nick Cave is a prolific songwriter, and Live Seeds is a good place to start for anyone who isnt familiar with him, and it is a fantastic place to land for any fan of the early to middle part of his career. Nick Cave himself has stated that he was unhappy with the mixes on Henry's Dream and despite it being a popular fan album, it is his least favorite Bad Seeds album. According to him, the live setting is a way of rectifying that. So the songs from that album are as he intended them to be heard.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

Nick is wrong.

Heh, I just wanted to say that. But it's kind of true for me because Henry's Dream is what turned me onto him and made me buy a shitload of his albums, including the birthday party, including all the kinda boring ones he did later on in his career. Mixes me damned, those songs are great, and that's why the bulk of Henry's Dream is on Live Seeds, if I'm not mistaken. It's also true, though that some of the tracks from Live Seeds are better than the studio versions. I love "John Finn's Wife", "The Ship Song", "The Mercy Seat" live. Actually, for a great live experience, one should watch Cave's dvd "God is in the House" and watch him and boys crank out "The Mercy Seat". It's as intense as...Cryptopsy. You are right for putting this album on your site, Mr. Blend....

12:35 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i agree Terry, Henry's Dream is my out and out favorite album from Cave...it astounds me that he doesnt like it...

i also really like the recent one, Abbatoir Blues/ Lyre of Orpheus... I will get around to posting more of nick cave in the future.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

i'll have to check that double album out that you mention, as I have heard good reviews there. i bought most of them up to "the boatman's call" but lost interest on that one; being able to croon about perhaps sleeping with PJ Harvey is something a guy should keep to himself, heh. After Henry's Dream and Live Seeds I like The Good Son quite a bit, and much of Tender Prey, mostly for The Mercy Seat, which is pretty powerful for me. Have you ever read Nick Cave's novel "And the ass saw the angel?" It's pretty well done. Speaking of Nick Cave tangents, I also like a lot of Warren Ellis's The Dirty Three. I'll look forward to the newer stuff if you put it up. Thanks

10:36 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yes. the Dirty Three are great...the movie The Proposition has some great sounds done by Ellis and Cave...you should check that out too... I will up Abbatoir so you can check it out..

and I will read that book.

thanks man!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Actually, I have a Nick Cave tidbit you might appreciate, and something i've had for years but don't need... A token of appreciation for everyone's favourite neighbourhood blogger. It is something I'd have to physically mail, if you were alright with it. i'd need to have an address though. i could give you my email for you to send a postal... don't worry, it wouldn't be his poop or anything...

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home