Friday, June 13, 2008

Barrit 7" (1997)



I dont know much about this band. In fact I didnt even know they had a full length out. I can be pretty disconnected at times and in fact spent much of the time from 1998 - 2004 not even concerned with music. Thats no so important really, other than the resurgence of listening to music and finding new music and hunting down things I used to like added up to me liking music way more than before and eventually starting this blog to share all the musical discoveries that have helped me along in life.

Right about the time I left Vermont to move to NYC is when I acquired this 7". My friend Brendan, always an ultimate resource for all things hardcore and metal, had showed me this and the two songs instantly grabbed me. I threw it on a tape and jammed it in my ride (my awesome 1989 Honda Accord) and probably drove way to fast as a result. I used to make it from NYC to Vermont in record times. "They" always say it takes about 6 hours, give or take, to get from NYC to VT. Fuck that, it should take 5 (give or take) but I used to make that drive in just over 4 hours. I drove like a lunatic for years and subsequently lost my license around 9 years ago. I have never gotten another license. My penance for all the people I most likely scared the shit out of.. Anyway, they were good times. Surely hardcore mustve had something to do with this... and maybe the fact that my father flew jets in the Air Force.

So, I leave school and my favorite tape to listen to in the ride was this one. It was an old tape that had Converge's Halo In A Haystack on one side. That dates the cassette to around 1994 or 1995. Along the way I put the Channel 7" with Fairy Tale on the other side and the Jesuit 7". Sometime later I added a 7" by another New England metallic hardcore band called Corrin and then eventually made it to VT where I added the Barrit 7" you have here and the Execute demo (Super heavy hardcore from VT with the same drummer from Seven Years War).

Needless to say, that tape ruled. In fact, it still rules. I still have it and all of the things on it are nearly impossible to find. Its one of 3 tapes I still own along with Sick of It All's Blood, Sweat and No Tears.

This 7" is great. You will have to listen to it to find out what it is like, though I can say it did fit on that cassette really well alongside those other bands.

If anyone has the LP I would love to hear it as I mustve dropped off the map not long after this 7" graced my life.


EDIT:

So I was looking up some stuff about Barrit and was pleasantly surprised to find a very old Tripod page for Barrit. It turns out they were from Worcester, Mass and existed for maybe 4-5 years tops. I also found the cover to the LP that Dan dropped in the comments. Go check it out, though as Brendan says, I dont think it is as good as the 7". Mainly because of the voice. The vocals are shredded on the 7" and they are far more polished and lower end in the album. I personally love the shredded scream, Carcass style.

13 Comments:

Blogger Death Metal Dan said...

I got the full length. They were a great band. I think they never got the respect they deserved cuz they were playing metalcore game in Boston which was a PACKED scene at the time with top notch acts like Converge, Cave In (when they were still screaming), Overcast, etc.

Anyway, I'll up it in a few minutes.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Death Metal Dan said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?4oxa1m9t9mj

There you go!

2:16 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

awesome dan! thanks!

yeah, Boston and Hydra Head were repping that style pretty hard back then.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the 7" (and the demo before it) are far superior to the full length, i think. "godless disease," you are fucking moshing.

that is all.
brendan

11:40 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

hey, lame request, but does anyone have both 12"s from volume eleven (post-honeywell band)? i have the vinyl, but need the digital. plus, everyone else should be listening to this with regularity.

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YO! Barrit always put on a sick live show. The "singer" and both guitarists traded off vocals which kept things interesting. The guitar player, Zack, and the bass player were/are both in Bane as well. Completely different style though, Bane being on the more "traditional" HC side.

On a different note: I was a year behind Tim at school in Vermont. We grew up a town away from each other so I'd occasionally grab a ride home with him. HARROWING would aptly describe the experience, regardless of the mix tape being played.

11:23 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

"HARROWING" haha!!!

Even though Sean is a year younger than me he looks older due to all those high speed runs. We went so fast he was white knuckling the dashboard and you could actually see the hair on his head turning white.

haha!!! j/k of course. Sean still looks like a fresh faced youngster.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The early bass player also went to Toronto and played in The Swarm.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Diskarma said...

i always thought this band was critically over rated. then again, 1994-1999 was a period of mediocrity.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just about every time I saw them they didn't finish their set...I guess on account of the equipment not being able to cope with anything that Starkweather.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for Barrit. I saw them in maybe '95 at some fest or another and remember enjoying their set a lot... God all this stuff seems like a lifetime ago now, do you guys feel that way too?

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed barrit, thanks for this. They were one of the first hardcore bands to play swedish influenced metal

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the full length destroys the fucking 7 inch..thanks dan


lol @ this band being over-rated...in their prime nobody could touch them

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home