Friday, April 17, 2009

Just a Lil' Somethin'



What is up people. Its been a bit of time since I have even looked at this page, and frankly I am dismayed at how negligent I have been. If this were my garden it would be over run with weeds. Not the good kind either. If this were an empty lot, it would have lots of broken glass in it.

Now its spring, time for some spring cleaning then!

I made this mix for my friend who wanted to hear more new punk. This was about two years ago when we both started our new jobs at the same place and, while I still stand by it today, I guess I cant lie... I would not only probably make it totally different now, but I would also feel the necessity to make a 3-mix set, or something similarly grandiose, to even touch upon the amount of punk music that has meant so much to me over the years.

Well, this is what I made then, and as I said I stand behind it. The main thrust of this mix was to give someone who may not know a lot about punk a good idea of where punk has been throughout the years and where its headed. I think in that capacity I did a decent job, even if I passed over specific classics in favor of something I was vibing off of then.

So, while many of you may be familiar with these bands my hope is turn at least each person to one new band and maybe make them re-evaluate the importance of a band they might have overlooked. Clearly this a flawed idea cuz most of you will tell me "OMG you forgot this song!!!" or "You put THAT Minor Threat song?!".. Haha. Yep. I sure did.

Heres the tracklist so you can decide for yourselves if you care to test it out. Please let me know what you think, even if you think adding the Pixies was the dumbest idea. Lets hear it!

1. We Train These Robots - Please Inform the Captain This Is a Hijack
2. Who Are You - Void
3. Born With a Beard - Brainworms
4. Pay to Cum - Bad Brains
5. I Like Your Mom - Bouncing Souls
6. Sidewalk - Avail
7. Again and Again - Reason to Believe
8. Why Do I Care - Faith
9. Angry Sleepers - PITCTIAH (again, but this is a real song)
10. Fingers.Voice.Heart.Shake - Suis La Lune
11. La Ultima Sigaretta - La Piovra
12. California Uber Alles - Dead Kennedys
13. Daneurysm - Lifetime
14. Solidarity - Scream
15. Trash Flavored Trash - Blood Brothers
16. Asesinos - Los Crudos
17. Bit Part In a Bad Movie - Ampere
18. Broken Face - The Pixies
19. Mr Suit - Wire
20. No Reason Why - Pennywise
21. Sleeping the Terror Code - Q and Not U
22. One Way Widow - Les Savy Fav
23. XOX - Hot Snakes
24. Spring - Rites of Spring
25. Your Cheated Heart - The Ergs!
26. New Wind - 7 Seconds
27. In Defense of Humans - Fugazi
28. My Life - Sick of it All
29. Six Bar Phrase Hey Hey - Bear vs Shark
30. No Reason - Minor Threat
31. Resurrection - Fury
32. Spectra Sonic Sound - Nation of Ulysses
33. Bob - NOFX
34. Marriage - Descendents
35. Guigno - La Quiete


and thats all. As I was typing that out I realized I really would have made this much different if I made it today, but you know...

8 Comments:

Blogger gamefaced said...

los crudos. yes.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brainworms is the best thing happening in punk right now, in my opinion.

8:31 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i agree... brainworms are the tittays.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maharahj rules! I just found my copy of the MCD. Anyone have Chapter One, The Descent?

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12. California Uber Alles - Dead Kennedys Good choice.. welcome back man Jeremy from Dominican Republic

5:16 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

i too agree...brainworms are amazing.

tim - i've been meaning to write you back and i will. again i have to say, it was great hanging out with you in new york. in fact, it was so good the young widows had to play to celebrate such a bad ass event.

2:48 AM  
Blogger http://big-chief.tumblr.com/ said...

ALL MY LIFE, PEOPLE TELL ME WHAT TO SAY/ THIS IS MY LIFE, THIS IS MY OWN WAY

i am like the opposite of NYCxHC but i always loved that album. rock on. anyone out there reading this who is considering dabbling with the New Yawk Hawd Caw sound should begin with Sick Of It All; Agnostic Front may have basically pioneered it, but SOIA pretty much nailed it. all the post-SOIA bands were sorta redundant if you ask me, and Blood, Sweat... and No Tears is THE choice if "you're only going to own one NYCxHC album."

(i'm not counting the "emotional" or "sensitive" melodic stuff like YOT or GB)

4:38 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

I agree wholeheartedly DAD!! I love that album!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home