Monday, March 26, 2007

Hardcore Corner

Okay, since I had been busy for the past few weeks I couldnt make time to speak of all the good hardcore I was jamming too for a while. I found another grouping of bands and they are all so good and then I got into another instrumental phase and who knows where it will go next. So, in an effort to expose some of these bands that are killing it right now, I have fashioned this Hardcore Corner...

Lords - Swords & The House That Lords Built (2005/2004)

Lords are fast paced, unique rock inspired hardcore trio from Louisville with an agressive, slightly raunchy feel and iron-maidenesque guitar leanings. It is brash and gnarly and feels like a true honor to the idea of Rock & Roll as dangerous. They will be a cool band to see live when they next come around. (Jade Tree Records)

Bones Brigade - I Hate Myself When I'm Not Skateboarding & Focused (2003/2004)


Bones Brigade play what you would expect. And thats the best thing. Thrashy Hardcore Skate Punk, fast as hell, like Suicidal Tendencies and SOD at times, like Minor Threat or 7 Seconds at others. On Focused they bring the metal, but through and through they prove that hardcore is what you make it. Catchy stuff. They have a newer album too. Endless Bummer. (Fight Fire With Fire / Coalition Records)

Holy Mountain - Entrails & Enemies (2004/2006)


Holy Mountain are crusty, heavy Motorhead inspired hardcore. They are a juggernaut of pissed off fury. You probably shouldnt drive while listening to these. (No Idea Records)

Coliseum - Goddamage (2005)

Another amazing Louisville band, Coliseum. They also play a crusty style of hardcore, but with a more stripped down and dynamic style, like death bikers riding the desert at night. (Manic Ride Records)

A Day In Black and White - My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys (2004)

Cathartic hardcore from Washington, DC. Similar to where City of Caterpillar left off. Really passionate stuff, with huge ominous builds and tidal release. (Level Plane)

"Songs we sing, to ourselves, just to keep our heart rate down,
Rhythm and Rhyme, making the lines, basis of the Sign"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the Lords that did the split with In Tongues(ex-Kodan Armada)? If so, they are quite the band. (and so is In Tongues, number 1,2,4,7 on my most played list on my ipod)

I've also seen ADIBAW once, they're fantastic guys. We discussed how angry I was at them for having seen Envy on their east coast tour. Lovely fellas. Off that album, it's all pretty good, but The Gaze is a surefire winner.

7:56 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Yes, that is the same Lords. They kill. I'll check out In Tongues.

And A Day In Black and White is great, alot like earlier envy...

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

slint, mogwai, tortoise, and now a day in black and white. you've been totally overwhelming me with all this stuff. thanks for all this.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

re A Day in Black and White. I dig the City of Caterpillar and Envy comparisons; personally, when I heard them before on the Level Plane sampler 80 Records I was thinking Amanda Woodward and all that thrashy Euro hardcore jazz: but listening to them now, I'm thinking the singer sounds really like Sinaloa - the same tortured, plaintive charm. Any connection?

5:02 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

definitely sounds like Sinaloa...glad you noticed...i checked and totally a coincidence. no shared members.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Gibby said...

Your blog is amazing! I just have to say that. I'm really digging The Holy Mountain stuff right now. Thanks so much for it!

2:06 PM  
Blogger couvegalega said...

Hi there!
Is it possible to update the links to Lords? I just can't seem to find their albums anywhere...
Thank you!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Is it possible to update the link for The Holy Mountain's Entrails? Thanks very much

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home