Monday, March 26, 2007

Slint - Spiderland (1991)



How can I mention Slint without mentioning Slint?!

One of my most favorite records of all time. Inspired so many different bands that I still love. From Math-Rock bands like Don Cab, to Post-Punk bands like Hoover and Drive Like Jehu, to other Louisville bands like June of 44 and Shipping News, to Indie-Rock bands like Three Mile Pilot to Pinback to Post-Rock bands like Mogwai and even Godspeed you Black Emperor and Tortoise, Slint's particular sense of dynamics and experimentation can be found everywhere. The spooky minmalist spoken word lyrics over the tightly arranged angular riffs and complex rhythms are a trademark on this record. Nosferatu Man and Breadcrumb Trail lurch and expand like ameobas, weaving their narrative tales around fluid and powerful rock while Don Aman and For Dinner creep precariously on the edge of your senses. Washer is one of the saddest songs ever written, with a glorious build and release that could shake the toughest of you. And Good Morning, Captain, with its sea-faring disaster tale and choppy ocean like drumming explodes in a fierce and anguished display of longing, shouting "I Miss You!!!" over cathartic, pounding riffs. It is a chilling ending to one of the most unique albums you will ever hear.

It also inspired the ending lyrics to the song AFK on the Pinback album Summer In Abaddon.

"Miles and miles of telephone poles
Fallen and tossed around
I can't talk to you anymore
And I miss you
And I miss you
Not in a Slint way, but I miss you"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this album, classic.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does this compare to Tweez? The last song on that album, Rhoda, is the only Slint I've heard previously. To me, it seems more direct than what's on this album...

Intense stuff, though. I heard of Slint through listening to Maxmillian Colby, who took the metal-influenced slow style of Slint and mixed it with Swing Kids fast hardcore. Though I probably prefer the MC version, it's good to hear the pure form of the style.

7:49 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yes! thats the main reason i love Max Colby. (and the sleepytime trio!) their slintyness. I look for slintyness in things...based off this album. tweez is not as good.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I think I'll still pick up Tweez. Rhoda seems closer to the Max Colby slintyness; less delicate, more "emo" in the tense, evil Hoover sense.

But I can definitely see why Spiderland is such an influential post-rock album. Keep up the good posts (with Rodan, I see you have)!

1:23 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks man.

yes, tweez is a little harder. but frankly, Max Colby re-wrote the Slint book, so did Hoover and so did June of 44, all in different ways.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have impeccable taste. I have been living under a rock for the past few years and just recently discovered music blogs. Of the 100 or so I have checked out this is by far the best.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home