Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Rodan - Rusty (1994)



Rodan was another progenitor of the early post-rock/ math-rock sound. Rusty was the only album they released besides a few scattered compilation tracks. The whole of their existence was 3 years, yet they sound on Rusty like they have existed since the dawn of time. Their complete understanding of duality and seemless integration of the two are a big part of their music. Songs veer back in forth from interwoven angular guitar compositions to dense, boxy chunks of noise. With members going on to bands such as the Rachels, June of 44, Shipping News and the Sonora Pine, as well as solo careers, it is easy to see how they all had previously explored such a wide range of sounds to such success. The first song, Bibe Silver Corner is a prelude of sorts, but rich and dense in almost classical structure. When Shiner comes up next it is a complete shock, a sucker punch, like the name somehow implies. The rest of the album finds the band juxtaposing these two extremes and finding much ground to be tread in between. In fact, Rodan almost goes hand in hand with Slints Spiderland album. It is a logical progression from where that great band left off. Rusty is an amazing piece of experimental rock music and sounds timeless even compared to all the bands that have taken their cues from Rodan.

If anyone has a vinyl release of this album, and would like to sell it, I would be very interested. I can do a trade too, though I have very little vinyl I would want to get rid of at this point. But I would throw in the Rodan CD as part of the trade. Let me know. I am not even sure if it was ever released on vinyl.

There is also a John Peel session of Rodan that I am looking for. Please inform. Thanks!

This album also resides on my Best Albums in Existence list.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, this is great.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, as always.
I managed to score a scuffed up (the cover, at least) copy of the "Rusty" LP a couple of years ago for about 5 bucks. I refuse to part with it though... my affection for the music is about equal with yours!
This is the first I've heard of the Peel Sessions. I'm curious now.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post... This was an amazing band. I was actually into them when they existed but never had a chance to see them live. I hope u post the peel session in the future.

9:38 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i hope i can get my hands on the Peel Session. They also have a cassette release called Aviary that was released before Rusty. it has a number of other songs i havent heard. plus they have a few comp tracks. i have one. Darjeeling. It is good, I will post it when I find the rest.

and i seriously gotta buy this on vinyl someday. I have it on CD, but it just doesnt cut it.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have the vinyl version at da capo records store in Utrecht
www.dacaporecords.nl

Best!
Ps; link doesn't work anymore

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no - ded link! can you please repost??

4:11 PM  
Blogger jAy @ jApAn said...

another great band. I've got a live Rodan boot to post on my site soon. Cheers.

7:40 PM  
Blogger germpm said...

can somebody put the link up again?thanks

4:30 AM  
Blogger Dave G said...

I have the aviary demo and the peel sessions cd. I will try to get them up on my blog this week if anyone is interested.

www.rocketsciencerecords@blogspot.com

9:43 PM  
Anonymous jjetman said...

Who produced this album? Albini?

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home