Monday, June 04, 2007

Updates and Stufffff...

Updates!

Hmmm... I am at work...so I have to move quick...

It seems I am having a hard time finding the right connections for my turntable to mac set-up...
I bought this thing called iMic from Griffin. Supposedly you can just hook the turntable right into it, but my turtable is older and needs a ground... So I tried hooking it through my receiver with the Tape Out line. It worked but now it is only recording on one channel. I messed with preferences, both system and program, but I cant seem to make it work. So I recorded the track anyway, then I brought it into GarageBand and layered the track and selected Mono instead of Stereo. That seems to work, but the volume is really low. So by fiddling with the settings in GarageBand and layering the track two to three or four times I am able to have the volume appear normal when playing in iTunes.

Then I save the file (Export to iTunes) and then I have to convert the file to mp3 so one 7" isnt 100MB. It works, but then its gets difficult cuz all the records are recorded at different levels, so I have to layer them differently from record to record. Considering they are not great recordings anyway, it works out pretty nicely.

So I recorded the Struggle 7", Guyver-One 7", and two Econochrist 7"s. Then I realized in my fiddling that I had not reconnected the turntable ground!!! So i checked all my tracks in iTunes and anytime the music quiets down there is an buzz in the monitors... Oh well, back to square one. I re-did the Guyver-One and Struggle 7"s, but I am also gonna try to mess with the equalization to see if I can boost some of the bass and mids... Later this week I will post the above mentioned 7"s and then I will get around to putting some other albums I have up..

For the meantime, I am fixing the Dischord post and I need to add a few links to the sidebars.

Stuffff!!!

Now, I have had these albums for a few weeks now...maybe only one week actually, but it feels like a month, so, as it goes, here are all the records I was provided from a number of you. I am gonna refrain from naming those who contributed because I am short on time, and I cant remember everyone off the top of my head. You know who you are and chances are the others here know who you are too. Thank you very much, you have enriched my life with angsty, punk fury and dark, groovy dissonance. I havent had much time to absorb all of these so I dont have much to say right now, but they are all completely awesome, that much I am sure of....


Abilene - s/t (2000)


Abilene - Two Guns, Twin Arrows (2002)

Hoover related band. More Relectrolux / Electrodub than Electrolux. Super dark grooves and subtle dynamics


Regulator Watts - The Aesthetics of No-Drag (1997)


Regulator Watts - The Mercury CD (1998)

Regulator Watts (or Regulatorwatts) are an earlier extension from the Hoover-pus. Way more Electrolux than Abilene. Still dark and moody, but far more explosive release.


Sevens - 777 / 12 12 & s/t LP (1995/96/96)

A post-Soulside band featuring both of the Sullivan brothers, Chris Farral from Hoover, Josh Larue from Rain Like the Sound of Trains and later the Sorts, and a suprise appearance from Joe Lally on the first 7" (777). Funky groovy rock with a socially conscious vibe. Dare I say granola? ^_^


Rain Like The Sound of Trains - s/t discography (1994)

An yet earlier post-Soulside band featuring Bobby Sullivan and Josh LaRue, Doug Birdzell from Beefeater and Pete Chamriec from Verbal Assault. Not what youd expect. Groovy and funky like the later Sevens, but still retaining a bit of the punk sound. Not much though. You get the feeling guys who like the dead might like this stuff.


Born Against - 9 Patriotic Hymns for Children (1991)


Born Against - Battle Hymns for the Race War (1993)


Born Against - The Rebel Sound of Shit and Failure (1995)

Born Against were the most punk of the hardcore bands in the ealry 90's. Their aesthetic embodied the revolutionary ideal that punk stood for. It also adheres to the toungue in cheek sarcasm that punk has also idealised for so long. The music is fast and powerful. I'd say they rank up as one of the best bands to ever materialize out of the hardcore scene at the time.


Antioch Arrow - In Love With Jetts / Lady Is a Cat (1993)

I didnt get this from anyone, but it is a great record featuring members of Heroin, Get Hustle and Evergreen. Born from the same San Diego scene as Heroin and using the same strengths as that band, they marked an early evolution in the San Diego hardcore scene.


Hidden in Buildings - Draw Your Sword and I Am Not Alone (2004)

Now this has nothing to do with any of the above mentioned bands, in members, sound or style. I actually dont know anything about this band, or if they are even a band. But they are from Canada...i think....
Think Godspeed You Black Emperor mixed with equal parts Explosions in the Sky, DJ Shadow, Ninja Tune Records and Boards of Canada. I had to nix track 3 cuz it was messed up. If anyone knows anything about these guys, let me know...

----------------------------------------------------

That concludes my first part of catching up. I started this post at work, but it is midnight now. I have since fiddled with my turntable set up some more, and it is kind of working but I am still frustrated that it wont just record the L and R channels...

If anyone has any pointers, hook me up! I'll have some of the stuff up later this week....

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply. Fucking. Awesome. For those of us who are still rounding the bend into a state of semi-up-to-date-technology (i.e> transformation of vinyl into audio files), let me say thank you.

Musicwise, this is one of the best spots I've come across in quite awhile.

Cheers. Will

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rain! Rain Like the Sound of Trains!!! Oh, man, do you know HOW MUCH TIME I've been looking for it?! God bless you, blend! Thanks!!!

And have I said that I'm happy to hear Sevens and Antioch Arrow? I bet, that the first one comes from proven's vaults, so thanks again to both of you, and all the other uploaders, too!

I think, it's only because I'm lucky to have the first four from this post, I've managed to recover from the shock ;)

ps. kisses from my wife :) she loves Sullivan's voice and all of his bands :)

4:34 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

haha!! thanks you two....proven hollow is to thank for most of this stuff...as well as yourself kissmysoundsystem...

and maize as well, and papstar. the Antioch Arrow is mine and the Hidden in Buildings is something you should listen to late at night...maybe with a lady friend.

though if im gonna hop in the sack, im throwin on some regulator watts! damn that bass make me horny! HA!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not sure why i slept on abilene for all these years, i feel like an ass, the song october gives me chills...

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow man, thanks for all this!
I can't open the Seven cd though, says it needs a pass. Any idea?

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for these. Just want to say I really like your easy-to-understand descriptions of Abilene and Regulator Watts!

10:15 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

ha! for any hoover fan it makes alot of sense...

i didnt add a pass to sevens.... try again and let me know....

11:28 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

excellent posting of stuff...haha. funky dischord, born against and antioch arrow?! haha...classic mixings. that rain like the sound of trains album has become quite impossible to find. i think dischord only pressed like 1000 of them or something. i think it sold the opposite of hotcakes...haha. they had 2 7"s before this album (before bobby sullivan joined the band) and i am pretty sure they are included on this cd version. they also had a 7" after this album which i believe you can find right here on this old blog. anyway...rock and roll. now i need to update my own shit....dammit.

11:35 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

now for some requests from me. this may be a bit obscure, but i am looking for stuff from an old hardcore band called mayday. i have the staplegun 10", but i'd like whatever else they have. i know they have a split 7" with integrity i used to have. and i also heard rumblings of some kind of unreleased album floating around. anybody? anybody?

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that RLTSOT was a butthole to extract, theres some wierd file in there.

i had to open with winrar, then "keep Broken Files" and "dont extract file paths" and then it worked for me.

weird.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, papstar! You don't need a password, you simply need a better archive utility :) I had some problems with Rain and Sevens archives when I'd tried to open them just via Windows. But 7zip solved all of them.

The problem may be with some characters in the name of one of the folder in archives, for example ":" Windows doesn't allow some charecters in file and folder names. Apparently Mac OS X has nothing against. All operating systems have its own issues...

7zip is a great free tool, you can find it here.

And the same with you maize. Just try 7zip, it works ;)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing! If you have problems with extracting folders with unallowed names, just extract files from them one by one...

What a pain when you've just downloaded what you've been looking for, and you cannot open the archive, we all know such stories for sure ;)

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya, mine was a problem with one of the folder names in the archive I think...either way I got them !

proven hollow: damn man, I'm looking. You had to pull out some old hard to find shit, eh?:)

12:45 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey. i may have made the sevens a problem...i labeled one of the 7"s 12:12

so that may be a problem, and Rain Like the Sound i may have labeled the folder rtl/sot

so the "/" and ":" might be the problem...try 7zip, it does work better, also recent versions of stuffit expander are good and if you use Mac, try MacPar plus....it works great for me when opening RARs, but i save all my files as Zip....

either way.. good luck...

Proven Hollow. Check COREGASM in the side links...go back through his archives. for some reason I think he posted some Mayday a few months back...hes got some other good stuff there too...

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the rain was labeled with an underline, i think windows didnt like it.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deep explanations about reserved characters in filenames can be found on wikipedia :) Windows doesn't allow all of these: |\?*<":>/

So the best way to avoid future problems is to avoid any of them in file and folder names...

1:20 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks Kissmysoundsystem. I will keep that in mind for further posts...

by the way, that Haram album you posted is pretty good! very much like Drive Like Jehu.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone have bluetip-dischord no. 101

????

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, blend, I'm glad you like Haram :) I must say, that when I listened to them for the first time I was a bit dissapointed, but after a few times I finally started to like them. It's good band. Maybe not a great one, but probably can kick ass playing live ;)

Talking about filenames, some time ago I've got into serious troubles just copying my files from my windows to linux partition. After that, I was not only unable to read them, I was also unable to delete them! - just because of some fucking filenames conflict :( Maybe I must try with some linux live cd (or just install ubuntu once again) to finally get rid of them, but the lesson I learned was a simple one: no fancy names, if you won't have any troubles, dude ;)

maize, I have this one, so if you want it, I may post it even today, so stay tuned ;) I also have "Join Us" on my blog if you are interesting...

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, i grabbed join us, thats what made me think about that one..

good stuff on your blog, i got the lungfish too.

thanks again!

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man... Sevens is awesome... I had no idea about this band. Thank you for posting it. I've been listening to it intensely.

2:08 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hammer is my favorite Sevens song so far... from the 777 ep. i love bobbys voice..

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Blend! So, I've been coming to your blog almost everyday for quite sometime now, and I have a shit load of CDs at home. I actually buy them. Not as much as in the past, but I nowadays, I tend to download music and go to the shop and by Vinyl. It's better that way. I want to share some stuff with you. I grew up in Brazil and have a lot of stuff from bands you maybe not heard about.
I uploaded "Debate". It's an EP from these Brazilian guys that listen to a lot of Dischord bands. They sound like Hoover in my opinion, but they sing in portuguese. J. Robbins is behind this EP and they opened for Medications when they were touring in Brazil last month.

Debate - EP
http://www.mediafire.com/?cyfxcplcmdw

Enjoy! And feel free to post on your blog if u like them.

2:58 PM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

since you guys are back on this whole sullivan kick (haha, i think i may have been a part of starting it), you might want to check out what bobby sullivan is doing now. after/during sevens, bobby was in a band called seven league boots. last time i talked to his brother mark, he told me bobby was "living in a teepee somewhere in the mountains." while that is/was probably true, he actually has a new band out. his new band is called Spontaneous Earth, i won;t say if it is good or not...haha, but it is bobby singing. and i think you may be able to tell from their myspace page what they are "all about." haha. anyway, thought i;d keep the sullivan role going. have fun.
http://www.myspace.com/spontaneousearth7

5:39 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

destroyer - thanks for the music. i cant wait to check it out....i agree with you, since being able to listen to so much more music via internet i end up buying much more than i usually did...and knowing i have the mp3s i can then buy it all on vinyl, which is far more fun and artistic..

proven hollow - yes, its all your fault. i havent gotten into Seven League Boots yet, but Sevens has been a morning commute soundtrack for the past week or so...

i checked spontaneous earth. hmmm. i mean, its hard to hat that kind of stuff, but its also hard to love it... even rlt/sot and sevens almost get too ganola at times...and this coming from someone who likes the grateful dead...yes, i said it...i like the dead... just not all of it...but at least half...

anyway, im rambling...im a hippie punk ^_^

6:11 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey destroyer. do you have a track order for that debate cd?

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... this is the order:

1- Zé Rico
2- Cadafalso
3- Galope
4- Dito E Feito
5- Nocaute
6- Raiz Quadrada
7- 7"

this is their myspace link:
http://www.myspace.com/debaterock

this is the label:
http://www.amplitude.art.br/

1:52 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

dude...good stuff! thanks a ton...i'll get around to posting it eventually. maybe this weekend... i have to put all that vinyl up first...

feel free to send me any other stuff from your neck of the woods....

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im open for business...yay this is fun

http://closetsquat.blogspot.com/

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for trying to digitize vinyl.

As for your proposed scheme, I might point out that your (inventive and labor-intensive) one-channel solution may be simply doubling one side of the stereo mix, which may introduce phase problems and in some cases totally eliminate one of the guitars (which are recarded in hard left-right stereo) and some drums and other elements (which span the stereo field).

I've never used iMic, but you can find some decent RCA to USB converters for under $100 that should work fine with Garageband. You should make sure, first, however that the problem is not with your turntable (i.e., make sure your cables from that are working).

10:04 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey anon...

thanks for the advice... i actually fugured it out using audacity....some of the rips sound better than some of the cds i have... the crownhate ruin came out fantastic... so did engine down and the sorts... all the punk stuff wasnt recorded to well in the first place, so they sound fine as is....

thanks again.. i am gonna start posting them tonite... i meant to have all of them upped today, but i forgot my disc at home...

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you figured out a way to transfer the vinyl. I'm pscyched about hearing that Struggle 7", which I haven't for years.

"Welcome to America, you have the right to be beaten."

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much. Your posts remind me of all the good times and stolen records I've had.

I'm quite thankful you're putting up some great music to share. Born Against were one of my favorite bands, and you're the best for putting this music out there for others to hear. Kudos, amigo!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home