Monday, October 15, 2007

Sinaloa - Footprints on Floorboards (2005)



"My hand holds fire / better put it to use / My enemy has water / theres no time for a truce"

Its time for pure subjectivity. I love this band. One of my favorite current hardcore bands. Even though theyre not really hardcore. They dont mute their guitars, they dont play really fast. In fact, they sound more like late 80's DC stuff, and even then, not really. But yet it is still hardcore, somehow. I mean, they did splits with Ampere, Wolves, Catena Collapse. What makes hardcore "hardcore' is not for me to decide, nor is it even relevant really. Sinaloa is awesome. I already did a review for them, where I compared them to Native Nod, what with their jangling guitar sounds, shaky spoken vocals that border on collapse, every so often toeing the line to an actual scream. Theres definitely some Rites of Spring sound, but filtered through the mid 90's influence of bands like Policy of 3 or Current. I think therein lies the reason I like Sinaloa so much, aside from their obviously cool lyrics. I loved Current. One of my favorites from back then. Same with Native Nod. They had a very melodic sense of rocking out without being purposefully heavy, and ended up sounding almost more powerful because of it.

Sinaloa does all these things, without a bass player. Just two guitars and a drummer. All three guys singing (screaming, talking, whispering, whatever), but passion drips from every corner of this record. At first, I only cared about their song from the Ampere split, and found this album difficult to get into. For some reason I started listening to this again and I figured I mustve been smoking crack, cuz this album is just as good as the songs from the split. Theres not a weak song on this, and the lack of a bassist isnt even noticeable, as the bands locks all the notes together in such a way that everything sounds full and meshed together really well. The drumming is also a key factor, as it is all that drives the rhythms, and Sinaloa happens to be pretty good at rocking a good beat, if you you know what im saying.

If you liked the split, get this record. You can get it from their myspace for $8!!!.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Late 80's DC you say?

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pick, man. This band is one of my favorites as well. Their live performance is just about as inspiring as you're gonna find this side of a mid'90s basement show. They draw you in entirely, and you find yourself feeling like something completely sincere and important is being mutually created by everyone present. The drummer was in a band called ettil vrye who are along the same lines but incorporate much more distortion/screaming. Oh, and he went to SMC, so in that sense I may be sort of biased in thier favor. Oh well.
-Sean M.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was pretty fuckin' emo of me, huh?
sean m.

10:09 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

sean, youre the most emo guy i know.

i was sick this weekend. i'll talk to ya later this week..

11:23 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

love this band, really good modern emo... America's answer to La Quiete?

Sinaloa was one of the great finds on this blog, blend. I still have those Ampere-Sinaloa-Wolves splits as a little incestuous screamo family in my CD collection...

Definitely going to get this album on order soon!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, time for requests!
1. City of Caterpillar/p99-- Document #9
2. Big Black --somethin other than or in addition to Songs About Fucking
3. Jawbreaker - whatever is good...
danke!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Destroyer said...

Thanks a lot Blend!!! and all the rest of you! I removed myself from the posting duties of this blog since I haven't been posting anything in a long time.
I will still visit and support u guys.
Keep it up!

Thx!

1:47 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks for being a part of it for a little while destroyer. if youre ever interested, just give a shout...

3:03 PM  
Blogger Walt said...

Band owns. Will be seeing them at the fest.

3:56 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

the guy above, Sean, we went to the same college in Vermont. I left after my second year to go to school in NYC, but Luke Pearson, the drummer, went to that college a year behind Sean...

it was such a small school, so its a funny coincidence that he went to the same 2000 person college as me.

coincidentally, sean and i grew up a town away from each other, near NYC, and we didnt meet until going to school in Vermont. small world.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Anonymous asking for Jawbreaker:
Do you want their "best", my favorite or their most underrated? They never wrote a bad record but their "best" would probably be Dear You, my favorite is 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, and their most underrated is Unfun.

Who knows maybe I"ll do all 3!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hey jeff thanks for asking... i was not really sure what I wanted, either what you think is the best or what is generally considered the best... thanks!

9:48 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

jeff. do a post of all three!!!

we need some Jawbreaker apreesh here... and 24 Hour is my favorite too. I havent heard those records in quite a few years... so post all three!!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Upping as we speak.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Ok here are two of them.

24 Hour Revenge therapy - http://www.mediafire.com/?33bymyccoqw

My personal favorite with all my favorite songs on it.

Unfun - http://www.mediafire.com/?2j9iwdmzzjc

Their most underrated. If "Want" isn't on every mix you ever made for a girl you're an idiot, and probably a loser.

8:26 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i mean do an actual post. when you get the time... Jawbreaker needs some special attention on Zen.

4:04 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

I second that ^ I didn't want to say anything, 'cos this ain't my blog, but there's maybe too much stuff posted in comments.

Even when it's stuff I already have, I look forward to seeing it properly posted up and discussed... even if takes a while for that to happen.

Anyway, Jawbreaker rule! No complaints there...

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home