Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Walter Schreifels Solo

















Home Recordings 06
Arthur Lee EP
Walter Sings the Hits Live

Walter Schreifels music has saved my life in more than one ways. His work with Gorilla Biscuits, Rival Schools and Quicksand have saved my life from the drab, the mundane and the depressing things that fills peoples minds as they grow older. It's needless to say that he is easily my favorite musical artist and, as I know having "heroes" in the hardcore scene is a faux pas, he is honestly a person I'd enjoy to model my life by. Gorilla Biscuits got me to want to get more involved in "the scene", Quicksand expanded my view on hardcore and heavy music in general, and Rival Schools was the band that made me want to dedicate my life to doing what I want and not what others expect. It's needless to say then that I would love his solo work. Up there is 2 bootlegs and an EP.

The first upload is just some recordings he did at home that he put up on youtube and someone recorded it onto mp3 format. Whoever you are out there I would enjoy to shake your hand someday. The recording quality is sometimes something to get over (you can hear his dog walking in some of these, I mean this is literally just him playing at home). Some you might recognize as Gorilla Biscuits and Quicksand songs, and a few others that he's written. My favorite from this boot is "The Distance". It has a bit different recording quality which makes me think its not of the same sessions but to me its the deepest. Do not miss out on this.

The second upload is I believe an actual EP that he has released that I'm sure someone could find to buy if at all possible. It's completely worth the money. The recording quality here is a lot better but some of the songs lack the same depth and intensity that he does when he plays just on the couch. For me these definitely seem a little bit poppier and upbeat. Maybe a bit more for the person light of heart. Standout track is "Summertime", which incidentally is the darkest song on this ep.

The last thing is an entire live set, composed of his solo songs, a few Rival Schools songs, a GB song, a Quicksand song and I believe a Walking Concert track or two. It's 40 tracks and pretty big so I had to put it on Megaupload but if it comes down request it I'll put it back up. A lot of the tracks are just filler times that he talks during. Luckily they're in seperate tracks so its easy to skip them if you listen in the car or something. Something fun to listen to that sort of mixes it all together.

I hear rumors of a full length someday but I have no real news on it.
http://www.myspace.com/walterschreifelsmusic might have some updates.

I don't have time till probably tomorrow night to put it up but expect all 4 Rival Schools albums (United by Fate, the collaboration with Onelinedrawing and both Unreleased LPs) up sometime in the future.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great stuff. The Arthur Lee Ep is something that is floating around alot. The other two I haven't heard so I thank you.

Any Chance that Walking Concert's album could be uploaded?

Thanks for all the great work.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Yeah dude I think I'm missing a track or two so I wanna get that completely finished before I up it.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy shit! ive been dying to get my hands on the unreleased rival schools stuff!!!! thanks in advance!

6:24 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

the unreleased rival schools does not do it for me..

i have the walking concert album at home... its not too bad... walters voice is awesome...

jeff. post moondog!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Perhaps I'll just have to make it a GIANT fucking Walter Schreifels post. The YOT albums he played on, s/t GB and Start Today GB and remastered Start Today and Walter Sings in Mono and Moondog and all the Quicksand stuff I have and all the Rival Schools stuff I have and the Walking Concert LP and the... and the ...

TOTAL FANBOY ALERT!

11:54 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Jeff, do a Fanboy post...

the YOT ep, with Disengage is my favorite YOT stuff...

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

id love to get that remastered GB record! this is gonna be a killer post!

10:11 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

i've got a ton of unreleased quicksand stuff laying around here on in a box somewhere. if you don;t post it up in your "super post" i'll start digging it out.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

That would be great PH!

I probably won't have time to do this until tonight but trust me, this will happen.

1:55 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i need to make some posts, but im so damn busy...

Seaweed - Four and Weak are coming up
Bouncing Souls - The Good, The Bad and the Argyle
Sinaloa - Footprints on Floorboards

maybe a Celeste post after that and then another post or two...

plans, but when to achieve?

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Walter do his solo thing after seeing GB's reunion show here in Mpls. Walter was a lot of fun, but that dude was hiiiIIGGgghhh! But it was still a great time. Who'd think I would be able to do stage dives to GB and then have a beer with them all in the same night. My how the times have changed.

5:17 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

hey blend, I'll second the Sinaloa. The Ampere/Sinaloa split came in the mail a couple of weeks back, decided to buy an actual copy after having the mp3 downloaded from this site. (It's very cool to get a CD with proper hand-crafted artwork and design... except did it have to be so DIY that it is just slightly too large to fit into any normal CD rack... except for my own DIY one which is crap and falling apart!)

Anyway, I'd be up for hearing a full-length... for future investment!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Would you happen to be the same Jason that writes for scenepointblank?

And I didn't know Walter had "sold out" (was he edge to begin with?). I'm so mad that I couldn't make it to GB's Minneapolis reunion show. I heard it was one of the best on the entire tour.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Walt said...

I support anyone by the name of Walter any day of the week.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did someone mention awhile back that they had some Tune in Toyko (post-Carbomb) they could up? that would make my day...

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are these rival schools records still coming? im anxious!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your Rival Schools post for sure. The last few posts have been SO good. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to beoof topic, but could someone upload texas is the reason's full length? i just heard the ep and where i am, it's impossible to get the lp. thanks.

4:52 PM  
Blogger OUR FUCKING BOUNDARIES. said...

posting a chris hodge and miker gerner (Tune in Tokyo/Carbomb/100 Watt Clock) post later today at my blog...check it..

http://ourfuckingboundaries.blogspot.com/

7:38 AM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

here's that texas is the reason full length for you

http://www.mediafire.com/?1vxc2sn9jnt

3:40 PM  
Blogger Tim Pryce said...

hey Walter... remember me, it's Tim Pryce from Florida (Powerhouse)... been a really long time. always hopin to catch up with you. you were alway one of the very coolest dudes i've met & talked to/wrote to from NY...

1:27 AM  
Blogger Tim Pryce said...

i'd love to hear from ya. i'm on FB, myspace... easy to find... hope all is well & to hear from you soon! - Tim

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home