Friday, October 19, 2007

Sunny Day Real Estate


Diary (1994)


LP2 (1995)

This is one of those moments where I have to choose between two paths. Such justice is deserved by a band so great as Sunny Day Real Estate to either feverishly describe all of the songs off of these two releases, digging into all the lyrics, the inflections with which Enigk sings, Dan Hoerners guitar riffs, or Nate and Wills awesome rhythm section (especially on LP2). It can go way further than that too. The other extreme is to stand in silent awe of their work and let the sounds speak for themselves. I am prone to the latter at this current moment, as I probably would have been when I first heard Diary in 94, and as I definitely was when I first heard LP2. I was also incredibly crushed when they broke up after LP2 and incredibly elated when they reformed. My emotions are very tied to this band, specifically these first two works, and I dont think breaking apart their songs or lyrics would do me or anyone else any good. Jeremey is the only one who knew what he was singing about, and the band wrote a new chapter in the punk/emo/hardcore canons that would change the face of underground music going into the latter part of the decade. Suffice it to say that SDRE is easily one of my most favorite bands, up there with Fugazi, Quicksand, Sonic Youth and the Pixies.

48 and J'Nuh are two of the best rock songs ever written in my opinion.

As a side note, this post and the Jawbreaker post are in commemoration of Zen and the Art of Face Punchings first year aniversary!

10 Comments:

Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

happy one year zen!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Once again I feel like the young newcomer >:(

BUT HAPPY BDAY ZEN! Thanks for allowing me to share so much great music, stories and ideas with so many amazing knowledgable people.

3:29 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

don't be down on yr age. we're old with youthful aspirations. punk rock/hardcore has nothing to do with age,just a need to express yourself in a world where nothing makes sense. we rely on bands to supply the soundtrack to our collective rage of the mundane while we make it through the days middle fingers fully outstretched. in our hearts lingers the teenage angst that drew us in to begin with.

3:40 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i couldnt have put it better myself...

3:42 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

I feel like I want to get that tattooed on my face. Usually I'm just angsty when I say things like that...don't mind me.

TIM! Lp2 > Diary. Sorry, definitely like both but LP2 is running my speakers at the moment.

3:43 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

I guess I'm young with old aspirations... age-old, that is.

Anyway, never ever like Enigk's voice. I'm going to dl his solo album in a perverse attempt to solve that problem...

3:56 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

'94 was also the first year I heard this amazing group and my last year of high school. I connected with this band like no other, before or after....

here is your 7" in mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?7tqvy0xvno5

happy anniversary.

6:10 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

papstar, you are a god my friend...

jeff, you are hilarious.

LP2 is kind of better than Diary, but then again, it depends on my mood.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Andrew Rockway said...

I was 5 years old when Diary came out...

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

48 & Circles were on constant repeat for me back in the late 90's. The part on circles where it goes to the clean guitar still gives me that tingle after all these years. J'nuh live is amazing, wish I had seen them more than I did.

Excellent post by the way!


Jason

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home