Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Francis Noir



Yes, cleverness abound at Zen right now. Frank black is pretty clever. Way more clever than I. Mine is simply the pretense of cleverness.

Anyhow, have you ever listened to the Pixies? If not, we may be able to still talk, and with counseling maybe even look each other in the eye again. Its up to you if I should be embarrassed about listening to the Pixies or if you should be embarrassed about not listening to them, but shit, am I digressing at a fantastic rate or what?

Here, let me level with you. I'm not so in the mood to describe these things or to be too fanciful about how I skirt around such things. I basically have a lot of things I want to share and not so much focus to really describe why they are as awesome as they are, or what particular meaning they held for me at one point or another.

So just trust me on this one. Or the whatever next few posts I get into. I'll try to make some sense of it, but if you've been coming here you know my tastes are eclectic and you know I wouldn't steer you wrong. At least not intentionally.

So, Frank Black was in the Pixies under the pseudonym Black Francis. Along with Kim Deal alot of the Pixies songs were written. Actually, I should rephrase that; Kim wrote songs, Frank wrote songs (otherwise known as Charles Thompson). You can find out all this shit on wikipedia, but essentially the last Pixies album, Trompe Le Monde, was entirely written by Black aka. Frank neƩ Charles....

You following? Well this is a really great follow up to Trompe Le Monde without the rest of the Pixies. Oh, and something about cool lyrics..

"Im just another ten percenter / My mind is like an ocean
My mind is like an ocean / Im hangin in the harbor
Im just driftin letting out the line / Im lettin out the driftin line"

Frankly (no pun intended) my money is all on Czar. But you know. It's in your hands now dear reader.

10 Comments:

Blogger blend77 said...

Seriously, someone has got to like this.

12:58 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

I really like your blog and have already found quite a number of gems here, but this isn't one of them. Usually, when I don't like an album I just keep that opinion to myself (you know tastes are so different...). But I thought this album was boring (uninspired) when it came out 15 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better for me even when looking back and reminiscing about the good old times. The music isn't even all that bad, but the pretentious vocal stylings of FB just ruin it for me. But the again, I never was much a fan of the Pixies either. Well, those are my 5 cents worth...

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. Not liking Pixies that is a pretty big crime. Seriously, they were one of the best bands of all time. Frank Black writes some great songs.

Pixies = my favorite band ever.

Then again, I never really got why people were so into Black Sabbath or Discharge.

5:36 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Jaysin, I am with you on this one. I am in love with the Pixies. And while I havent completely loved everything FB has done, I do really like this album.

Sven, thanks for the honesty. Please feel welcome to share your opinions, whether good or bad. I am always interested in what people are thinking.

And yeah. Almost everything inspired by Black Sabbath I like alot, but never much of a Sabbath fan. Same with Discharge. Cursed? Yes? His Hero is Gone? Yes. Discharge? Eh.

9:50 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

Ha, ha, I probably should have expected such a backlash speaking out "against" a holy cow like Frank Black (no pun intended). But really I wasn't saying it is "bad", I just feel like his work ever lived up to the hype, i.e. leaves me a little disinterested. Although I guess if you are a hardcore fan of the Pixies (or any band for that matter) that is a hard distinction to make...
But then again I agree on the Sabbath/Discharge discourse; so there you go ;-)

11:42 AM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

Ups, typo.. "ever" = "never"

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

class record; the tracks go from brilliantly eccentric, slyly cheesy, bizzarely surreal and straight up rocking.

should check out his new one "bluefinger" which is all about herman brood. and departs from his Nashville period of honeycomb and fast man raider man back to black francis style

ps: his name's "charles" not "chris". the only album tracks kim wrote for the pixies were silver and gigantic. black wrote everything else.

piece

2:40 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks for the clarification..

I am not toally sold on Bluefinger yet.

I grew up with two chris thompsons, so i may have a bias to type that name. they both sucked though. and Chris Tompson from Circus Lupus rules and Charles Thompson also rules.

I thought Kim contributed more than just two songs but i certainly dont cross reference anything i write. its all memories. pale, cracked, paint chipped, fading memories, like the visual equivalent of Boards of Canada songs..

5:32 PM  
Blogger http://big-chief.tumblr.com/ said...

thanks for the FB post; despite Trompe le monde being one of my all-time favorite records (and i think i'm in the minority here as it is definitely my favorite Pixies album), i somehow made it through the '90s w/out giving Frank Black a chance. sooo funny he does a Beach Boys song. album is great-- thanks!

3:38 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

I also really love Trompe Le Monde. It seems like the bastard child of Pixies albums, but I rank it on par with Doolittle and Surfer Rosa.

Bossanova, while still having some of their best songs (The Happening!) is, to me, their weakest album.

But I still love it anyway. A bad Pixies album is still better than most good albums.

thanks for the comments. Enjoy the FB.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home