Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Funeral Diner is Dead...



This Truly Is God's Country - Up to this point the story has been played out, sometimes failing, and sometimes in time. But always present and always feeling just this close to breaking. There was nowhere else to go and nowhere would have been right. Hiding in corners, hoping for curtains or shadows to hide behind and change the colors of feeling. Building something out of nothing again. A wall, a door, a pillar, and another place to live and change. Changing again, transparent and out of focus, but with the best intentions always in mind. But always this close to breaking and the running away never helps. And the holes that you dig are always deeper, though better informed. (As much as it hurts) they were right when they said, "change is the only constant." So i'll keep this salt in my wound. So i can keep that in mind.

Funeral Diner were one of the best current hardcore bands pushing and building on a style that is already over a decade old. Trebly guitars, throat shredding screams, beautiful drumming and powerful bass surges are here in spades. Not unlike Portraits Of Past, with whom they shared a member and a geographic location, Funeral Diner went leaps and bounds towards combining frantic hardcore with long subdued passages of instrumental rock. Call it Americas answer to Envy's answer to America, call it post-hardcore, call it screamo, it doesnt matter. Funeral Diner is dead. Whats left is all that matters now...

This was released as a Euro Tour CD and contains tracks from a variety of places, including a compilation, a 4 way split and splits with Dead City, Raein, Evylock and Welcome the Plague Year. The good thing about this compilation is the improved recording quality of all the tracks involved. If you like this and need more, I strongly urge you to pick up their more current stuff, The Underdark and Ampere split, as well as the Doors open EP. Sometime soon I will put up the Three Sides Dead comp which covers their early career.

16 Comments:

Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

"Americas answer to Envy's answer to America"... I like that.

Underdark is good, but I never really got into the band for some reason. As much as I love the whole idea of the genre of screamo, it's up there with post-rock as something I never seem to listen to as much of as I would like to.

4:55 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

as an Envy fan I think you owe it to yourself to ingest a little Funeral Diner.

it does a body good. and this is my second favorite album next to Underdark...

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as gabba I've never really got into them to this time... but why not to try once again...

Yeah, I even saw them live in a very small club some two years ago and they were pretty good, as far as I can remember ;)

5:13 PM  
Blogger willair said...

the underdark rules, but is dead is fucking great too.

still reeling from them being done

you should definitely give funeral diner a better listen if you dont hear their name and get excited.

3:21 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

i just got into funeral diner a little over a year ago and it has been fantastic ever since. you have their split with saddest landscape? both bands cover rites of spring and it is awesome...

3:28 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

sup will!!! keep coming back here and sayin hi! have you been back to PV yet? I went to look for an old link i put up. They redesigned it... weird. I didnt sign on though. I havent been back since that day you said you were quitting.

Jay, I do have that split. and while its good, theres no way they are as good as the originals... I would love to see a comp similar to Land of Greed comp that covers Rites of Spring - End on End track by track...

I do love Funeral Diner though. One of my favorites. I'll have to put up Three Sides Dead or the Swept Under stuff... so freaking good..

3:33 PM  
Blogger willair said...

they redesigned purevolume?1?!?
i fuckin love everything about you tim keep posting so i have something to check...got you on my live bookmarks.
i have some ideas i actually wanna talk to you about pretty soon.... online radio station???

3:48 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

hey, I'm definitely getting more into this band now, on both this album and Underdark. Thanks!

Glad someone mentioned their ROS cover. Obviously is not as good as the original, but I really like it. The incorporation of the spacey screamo sounds into the original is very interesting. It's kinda like emo coming full circle on itself...

5:31 AM  
Blogger willair said...

speaking of covers lets talk about the casket lottery small brown bikes under pressure cover from their splt i was listening to it the other day...fuckin awesome

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the pleasure of seeing Funeral Diner multiple times, and they're fantastic dudes. They also make some of the most intense music I've seen live. Like the other good Envy fans here, I agree wholly. They ARE America's answer to Envy. The two are inexplicably linked and if ever the two should meet in my proximity, I'd probably burst like some insane euphoric bubble.

While I am a fanatic about "Is Dead," I saw them a year or two ago with mustaphamond (yay!) and they played this beautiful song and said that it was on the upcoming Ampere split. I had to wait a year and a half for it, and I got it the day it came out. They broke up around that time and I got choked up listening to it because it really feels like they're saying goodbye with it (although the song was also released on the 3" Tour CD and is usually a better copy considering the others are ripped from vinyl, if anyone wants it just ask.) Bands like Funeral Diner seem to be a dying breed, and it scares me that not a great deal is being done to replace them. Thank god that in Japan most bands don't do mixing and matching and just stay together forever, I hope Envy and Mono go the way of Shonen Knife and stay together until they're geriatrics.

FD's current bands aren't bad, the singer is now in Sterling Says (http://www.myspace.com/sterlingsays) and one of the guitarists and the drummer are now in ...Who Calls So Loud (http://www.myspace.com/whocallssoloud) which has a distinct Diner-y feel to it, if anyone cares.

3:32 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Will, post that song up. I love the original song so much.

Gabba, im glad ta hear youre getting into it.

Neil, I am the Sword is easily one of their best songs. I was thinking of posting up some Funeral Diner extras like the 3" and Swept Under (minus the remixes) and maybe Doors Open...

...who calls so loud sounds pretty good. I was checking them out the other day and it is definitely FD-ish... I love the fact that Matt was the drummer fro Portraits of Past. another awesome band from the hey day... Did I ever post that? That should be posted... and.. i just got a myspace message from them that they are playing in May in NYC... sweet.

3:56 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

in case anyone needs it, or needs to know it.

Portraits of Past - Self Titled (may include songs from Bleed split and comps songs... maybe. it was a while back that i posted this...)

4:01 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Dumbass...

PoP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UEZ9XNCE

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i disagree. i think their first records were nearly flawless, and its been downhill ever since the underdark came out. actually, i take that back.. doors open was rocking. the wicked ep is essential.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops, i meant that swept under was rocking. and, by downhill, i don't mean bad. they're one of the most consistently good emo bands from that time period. solid recordings, solid releases, solid touring.

3:35 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

im a fan of Underdark, but Swept Under and the 3" are really great. And i listen to Funeral Diner is Dead alot now...

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home