Friday, May 01, 2009

Calvary - Outnumbered Is Outflanked (2003)



This record is so amazing. I urge you all to drop what your doing and start listening to this right now. Similar to the Bullets*In post, I dont know of anyone who doesnt think this record rocks.

In fact, its so awesome that I dont even really know what to say about it other than that. Its not like some new kind of awesome punk. Its not breaking any boundaries. On first listen I didnt think to myself, "Holy Jesus Lord, this is the holy grail of punk rock!" Nope. Not even on the second. But I liked it.

Actually, Sweetbabyjaysus told me I would like it. So yeah, I liked it. I listened to it a few times, and one day it clicked. The record has yet to leave my iPod since then. It gets weekly listens and I find it near impossible to only listen to one song. Its one of those albums I throw on, whatever the mood and find that I have to listen to the whole thing.

When I shared it with someone recently they asked who was singing and when it was from because at times it really sounds like Rites of Spring and the singer sounds just like Guy. But nope. Not that. Instead its Matt Weeks from Current who is well known for sounding like Guy. Now, Current is easily one o my favorite bands from the 90's. Coliseum is a great album and their 7"s and split stuff are so great. They have held up well over the years, but dare I say that Calvary is better? I think it needs to be said.

Calvary is actually better than Current.

Im sure that has a lot to do with the musicians being better and more focused, but it probably has a lot to do with me as a person. I have grown since those mid-90s days and Calvary speaks to me so much more at this point in my life.

And the Rites of Spring thing, dont let it throw you off. There are only touches of it besides Matts voice that sound like RoS. They evoke a number of even earlier bands like Wire and Mission of Burma. Tense and precise guitar playing with metronomic drumming, Matts emotive voice and a slew of amazing hooks are whats waiting to be found in this amazing album..

Check it out and let me know what you think. You can find the LP pretty cheaply, usually on blue marble vinyl and you may still be able to get the 7" direct from Matt Weeks (now defunct) Council Records.

-----------

Anyone interested in picking up either the Calvary LP or 7" - can do so at Residue Records:

http://www.residue-records.com/

They have both (as well as some other Council stuff) for mailorder. (thanks matt)

23 Comments:

Blogger Ape Mummy said...

OK, I'm sold. DLing now.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous jaysin said...

I bought this a long time ago and was told, yeah it's good, the dude from Current is in it. I think I listened to it a couple of times and was into something else at the time.

I do not remember this thing rocking as much as it does. Definite ROS sound, but much more rock going on in a good way.

I think Current is still better, but more for the "time and place" of it all. This as a whole stands up much better. Thanks for putting this up.

10:08 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

I have never been a fan of Current (maybe I should) so I don't have much of a history to compare this to. Plus, I really have to be in the mood to listen to Rites of Spring-type emo, but I am listening to this right now and I have to say I think I am sold. And yeah, the Guy Picciotto comparison is pretty obvious, at least on the LP (he sounds quite different on the EP). Anyway, good stuff.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea im down to this. big shout to my homeboy Adam Romero which is a big fan of your blog ..jeremy from Dominican Republik

1:43 PM  
Blogger amit said...

one of my all time faves. still bummed i never saw this band.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous mostly blue skies said...

I set up a show with them in goleta (I think with the shivering and maybe funeral diner). I remember really hyping it - "Ex-CURRENT!!!" - even though not many people cared about that. It was an awesome show.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous C said...

This is a great LP, and I am glad I can now enjoy it in the digital realm. Thanks! I have the 7" somewhere, though I don't think it quite compares to the LP. I kick myself for not seeing them when they made it out east back in '02. Speaking of Current, I ordered a T-shirt from them back in '96. Matt Weeks wrote a little note, explaining the demise of Current . He said something about certain members wanting to be Van Halen.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoy your blog. This is a good record. Thanks.

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Matt said...

Anyone interested in picking up either the Calvary LP or 7" - can do so at Residue Records:

http://www.residue-records.com/

They have both (as well as some other Council stuff) for mailorder.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Great very underrated band, also excellent live

9:34 PM  
Blogger Dan Z. said...

Thanks for the post. I love your blog!

Current was great, Calvary greater. I wish there was more of them to love. What other songs are out there besides what's on the LP and 7"?

ps. I'm pretty sure that Calvary on LastFM ('Crimson Blue') is not the same band?

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great band to come out of the Council collective was Gregor. Not sure if anything other than one 7" and a demo tape was released. Very good stuff. If anyone has that, please up it. I lost that 7 a long time ago.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Jack said...

Thanks for posting this! My friend put 'Heart Murmur' on a mixtape for me a few years ago and I've been meaning to pick up some Calvery ever since! Keep up the good work!
jack
P.S. Any chance you could upload the new Convocation 7"? I have it but don't own a USB turntable yet so rely on folks like yourself to listen to stuff I have on vinyl on my mp3 player. :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

you can find a bunch of calvary mp3s over on the council website as well(http://www.councilrecords.com/sounds.html). specifically of note i would suggest the three demos that never made it to records. all are covers (void, wire, & magazine) and at least worth a listen. there's also some current rarities on there as well (2 live tracks, and a song mentioned in their discography that never made it past the demo stage) that should be worth your time.
yeah, what can i say, i dig the matt weeks style.
'sup tim!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hello!

I know that this isn't exactly a comment, but I couldn't find your e-mail address, and I wanted to write and tell you about a new website for artists, musicians, fashion designers, and filmmakers: www.PutItOn.com. I've been using the site as an artist and have my work there, and am trying to support it because I believe in it. Basically, the site allows artists from all over the world to connect, display their portfolios, and sell their work (with NO commission taken!). The site gives artists a FREE gigabyte of space to showcase their portfolios, allows you to stream audio and video works, lets you create live personal broadcasts, and translates any writing into ten different languages. If you could take the time to visit the site, and if you like it too, let your readers know about it, and even sign up yourself or link to it on your site it would be greatly appreciated! We are trying to make a go of helping out artists everywhere and are trying to get the word out, so please help us out if you like the site after checking it out! Thank you!

All the best,
Sarah at PutItOn.com

10:59 PM  
Blogger theodore said...

this is the hardcore band i was in when i was at notre dame in the mid 90s. we were called Obstruction:

http://southbendpower90s.blogspot.com/2009/05/obstruction-one-step-closer.html

or if you want to skip straight to the mp3s...
http://www.mediafire.com/?aafhzw41imj

yes, there was once a hardcore band at ND, though we may have been the only one...

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the music on this blog is insanely lame.

1:34 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

haha!! anonymously posting disses on peoples blogs is pretty lame my friend. go take a fiver and think about what you just did.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

XD lol Its really easy to show hate behind a PC but no do it straight to the peoples face lol, U doing a good job man.. Jeremy From DR. Peace

10:03 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks Jeremy! also thanks to Theodore. I tried downloading that but it timed out. I will try again on friday when I get internet set up in my new place..

also, sup Jay!

thanks to all the other comments too! you guys rule.

10:34 AM  
Blogger theodore said...

we are pretty proud of the scene we fostered back in those days, given the circumstances. fuckin conservative catholic college town in the middle of nowheresville, indiana... and we still managed to churn out great bands like Chisel, Sweep the Leg Johnny, and emiLy? plus a ridiculous number of other associated bands over the course of a decade. the music on the SBP90s blog may not suit you, and that's ok. but it suits us just fine, and we're happy to be documenting it, even if it's for no one other than ourselves.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This anonymous guy is really out if mind!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great record, thanks for this one :)

*hugs*

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home