Friday, August 10, 2007

BLOOD ON THE WALL!


Blood on the Wall - Awesomer (2005)

I posted this aways back, when this was a newer blog. I have a number of albums like this I'd like to spotlight somehow... bands I think deserve a closer look and more apreesh, but for now I am jamming out to this and it occured to me that this post went unnoticed. Generally I wont repost. Its not in my nature to jam something down your throat, but you all need to hit this up... if the rapidshare link pisses people off, then let me know, I'll update...

GET ON IT!

-------------old review----------------


I picked NYC's Blood on the Wall up based on the Pitchfork Media review. Yes, I do that from time to time. Even though Pitchfork is sometimes contrived and elitist (similar to my beloved city), I owe a great deal to Pitchfork for all the music they have turned me on to and they can be pretty clever at times. They are knowledgable about their bands and are always good at throwing in the proper reference points. Like the review for the album Awesomer (whiched recieved an 8.1 rating out of 10), the reviewer compared it to Pavement, Pixies and Sonic Youth and even said, "I readily admit these fuckers bite all your favorite bands...". And I dont see the problem with that. When I went to buy this I was listening to a lot of Sonic Youth, specifically Goo and Daydream Nation, and Pavement and the Pixies are two of my all time favorite bands. So this seemed like a no-brainer to me, "Just go buy it!" (I bought the Joggers album "A Cape and a Cane" too). Damn, am I happy I did. So, while not being all original and expanding the envelope of modern rock music, Blood on the Wall serve up some tasty treats of dissonat stoner inspired indie rock. The band is helmed by the Brother/ Sister duo of Brad and Courtney Shanks and they both share the vocal duties, Courtney coming off with a very druggy Kim Gorden impression and Brad delivering his best voice cracking rendition of and early Stephen Malkmus meets Black Francis minus the rhetoric. The music is well played and raw, something all the aformention bands eventually lost as they polished their sound. Blood on the Wall is a great reminder what made all their predescessors so great in the first place. That unbridled and unpolished rock and roll that has been making teenagers horny and want to party and making older people relive their youth when they feel that modern music has left them bored.

The Social Registry (Record Label)

12 Comments:

Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

dling now. if it sounds like any of the bands you mentioned, i think i'm gonna love it...
btw...do you know the asobi seksu kids?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Destroyer said...

hey Blend! I remember when you posted this one before. Thx for introducing me to their sound. Do they have anything else released?

Tapes n' Tapes is another great band that has some Pixies essence in it. If you never heard of them, here is a link for "The Loon" their only record so far:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3uim91yn733

They are a great live act too.
Have a great weekend everyone!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Walt said...

OMG Rapidshare suxxorz. 1337 101

3:28 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

sorry... i can reup to mediafire.. i found this link...

Tapes n Tapes are awesome!!! saw them live with Figurines and Cold War Kids, before the Kids blew the hell up.... there were 10 people there to watch them!!

they owned the nght, but tapes were ill!!!

3:37 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

Just started listening to this, and I like. Stoner Jam sounds like Karen O on heavy barbiturates... Going to Heaven reminds me of John Cale... that's as far as I've got so far. (Sorry, I know comparisons are odious, but they're fun too!)

Yeah, and thanks actually blend for the rapidshare link, I haven't got mediafire to work for me at all this week for some reason.

3:52 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

One of the best album titles.
You got me into this when you first posted it....listened to it so much since then. great post

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kinda off topic, but i thought someone may be interested...here are both DROPDEAD LPs. they are touring again this summer and im stoked to see em again. last time they played chicago was almost 10 yrs ago!


hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=YTZCX3HF


ive taken stuff from here, so i figured it was time to give!!!


great blog and great community...keep it up everyone!

10:27 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks for the Dropdead... they were good...

anyone have any Assuck? or Nema?

Yeah paps, this Blood on the Wall was a real good one... rocked it yesterday and its still just as good...

i need to post Plastic Constellations... hmmm.. i have a number of things i need to post... i just freed up my day, but it is nice out, though i think i will try to get one post out at least...

hehe... slacker... i got hammered to shit last night... soooo dumb...

3:00 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

assuck- misery index
http://www.mediafire.com/?cdwbiidg2zf

anyone happen to have any q factor?
or render useless?
maybe gauge's soothe lp?

4:32 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

thanks meng!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyone got anticapital?

11:29 AM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

anticapital & blindspot
http://www.mediafire.com/?cnpyzbghgmz

born backwards (demo)
http://www.mediafire.com/?fgxstl9dc4l

now does anyone have jud jud?

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home