Sunday, September 09, 2007

Zen and the Art of Mix Tapes #009

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Zen and the Art of Mix Tapes #009 Nothing Feels Good

My entire beginnings in the hardcore/punk community is all because of one mix tape. Before she left off to become a big college girl she left me a mix tape she made for that summer with some of her favorites (Less Than Jake and Rancid for the most part) and a 6 foot Rancid poster I still have up in my living room.

Well needless to say she grew up. She's 26 now, engaged and has a career of her own and no time to go to shows and buy records. But the mark she left on me is undeniable and great with a few inches of plastic and sound embedded on film. Either way this mix isn't the same as hers but I just thought everyone should know a little backstory about me and know how important mix tapes are to me.

Side A:

#1 - Jimmy Eat World - A Praise Chorus
#2 - Get Up Kids - 10 Minutes
#3 - Embrace - Building
#4 - Jeremy Enigk - Cannons
#5 - Rival Schools - Good Things
#6 - Texas is the Reason - Dressing Cold
#7 - I Hate Myself - ...And Keep Reaching For Those Stars
#8 - Spanish Bombs - Summer 05
#9 - On My Side - Definition
#10- Carry On - So Much Of You
#11- Gorilla Biscuits - First Failure
#12- In My Eyes - Welcome To Boston
#13- Verbal Assault - Scared

Side B:

#1 - Go It Alone - Our Mistakes
#2 - Any Last Words - Hardcore Prom Queen
#3 - Integrity - Hollow
#4 - Turning Point - Thursday
#5 - Lion of Judah - U N I Vs All Equals Peace
#6 - The Misfits - Astro Zombies
#7 - Lifetime - I'm Not Calling You
#8 - Bouncing Souls - The Ballad of Johnny X
#9 - Operation Ivy - Freeze Up
#10- The Fad - Vinyl Paradise

10 Comments:

Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

That's pretty punk! Especially like the Lifetime-Bouncing Souls-Op Ivy section... wish I had a 6ft Rancid poster, too... All I have is the 2ft insert from Rancid (2000) and I don't even like that album!

Welcome aboard, Jeff. I didn't realise this wasn't one of blend 77's mixtapes and I was doing some mental maths, figuring he was a bit old 8 years ago to be getting mix tapes from high school girls!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Hahaha thanks. Yeah I'm mostly into rev style hardcore type shit but I got into it through ska and punk.

Maybe I'll take a pic of said 6 foot Rancid poster later.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

many good songs on this mix. some of my fav thursday, GIA, TITR, IME, etc songs. i'm also kinda psyched/surprised to see ALW on there. i never hear anyone talk about them anymore.

5:14 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

awesome mix jeff!! love the ending with Vinyl Paradise.

dling now... did my help work out for you at all?

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

Stephen unfortunately I never got to see them live even though they were from only a few hours away. Picked up the 7" because of the album art and I fucking loved it! Glad to see theres another fan. Way better than Outbreak/Ceremony/any other fast hardcore band that takes influence from powerviolence in my opinion.

And Tim YES thank you. I still had to do a little rearranging but overall it worked out fine. The Fad is one of my favorite newer bands. LONG LIVE THE SKA!

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i fucking love integrity so much.


similar story...one of my friends older brother made a tape that was passed around by all of my friends and got us all into punk rock back when we were in 6th grade. powerful stuff.

10:45 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i was jamming this mix this morning while i got ready for work. i forgot how good that Get Up Kids song is...

and Rival Schools -> TITR -> I Hate Myself -> Spanish Bombs was a great ride...

11:50 AM  
Blogger Walt said...

After Tim's last comment I wanted to say your mom was a great ride but realized how sophomoric that would be.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

"and Rival Schools -> TITR -> I Hate Myself -> Spanish Bombs was a great ride.."

I tried to make it flow musically while still keeping a lyrical theme (for the most part, some of these are just badass songs) of complete and utter regret.

3:45 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

sophmoric, but nevertheless funny

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home