Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Another Wall 7" (1993)



Over the summer I was out having some drinks with my friend Joe at a bar we lovingly call "The Shithole". We met up with some of Joes friends and somehow got onto the topic of hardcore. I believe it began with a discussion about the book Radio Silence coming out soon and Joe mentioned that I did this blog and Glenn got excited saying he reads the blog frequently. I found this awkward as I had never randomly met anyone that read this page and as it turns I got the chance to be excited when Glenn mentioned he used to play drums in a band called Another Wall.

Well shheeeeit! I loved the Another Wall 7", one of the many things I sold, and had recently been on the lookout for so I could relive the glory days of blasting it in my shitty Honda. So Glenn and I ended up having much more than a passing discussion and the result was that Glenn wanted to get me the DATs of Another Wall stuff so I could post it up here. That was agreeable to me, especially if it sounded as good as I remember.

During a hilarious weekend retreat a few months later Glenn produced the converted files of the 7" plus an extra song that was never released. Radio Silence had just come out and we all geeked out to it and put the book to good use. It had seriously been years... more than a decade since I last heard these songs so when I got home I eagerly tossed it on and was surprised to hear that from the first note I recognized every single bit.

Another Wall could be fit into the progressive sort of hardcore scene alongside Quicksand and Burn, but they also didnt really sound like anyone else. Glenn thinks some of the guitars have some of Greg Ginns more experimental qualities, which I think is pretty spot on, especially on the unreleased song, Not A Word. The first thing you'll notice is the metallic leads followed by huge drums. The groove lays thick on this business and the two guitars throw loose yet chunky, stop-start metal riffs all over each other. Drum fills and rumbling low end dominate a good portion of this hybrid metal progressive hardcore beast as well, giving you plenty of room to do your windmills. The vocals are in a kind of spoken sort of singing style that seemed somewhat popular in NYHC at the turn of the decade. I guess I am thinking of Chaka's vocals on the Burn EP, but there is some actual singing too and some pretty good singalong parts to go along with some of the moshier stuff. This is definitely a record you could you could go off to. Despite it not being like Earth Crisis or that scene it definitely has riffs to match the chunkiness of a band like that albeit with a lot more texture to the guitars and a lot less anger in the vocals. All in all a very creative and interesting take on hardcore of that time period that I have yet to see replicated.



The unreleased song is actually the best of the four here. The other three are pretty great too, though Globe was always a personal favorite back in the Honda days. Some of the band members went on to do other awesome musical projects as well. Glenn went on to play in the band Antarctica along with Eric from Christie Front Drive. If you havent heard that stuff yet than it behooves me to tell you to get on that right now. Brian Maryansky, who is actually Glenns brother went on to play in The Van Pelt with the bassist Sean Greene. That is another thing you should really check out. And Chris Traynor later played in the similarly minded Orange 9mm. I am not sure what Luke (voice) does these days, though I feel like Glenn said Luke is a photographer. Luke and Glenn also contributed to the Radio Silence book as well and Glenn currently plays drums for the band Blacklist, who play a dark sort of rock and roll that has a nice Chameleons UK feel to it.

Blacklist is the only band that is active from the Another Wall family tree and you can check them out on their page.





I am going to try to keep up with this page and hopefully get at least one post a week out. Thats not too much to ask of myself. I had gotten very lazy after my last set of deadlines and it should be noted that Xbox is partially to blame.

Thanks to all of you who kept checking back despite my absence. Keep visiting as I have no intentions of closing up shop yet.

Peace!

21 Comments:

Blogger Guav said...

I still have the Another Wall demo and a shirt. Good stuff :)

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet. I had forgotten how awesome this 7" is, and I haven't listened to it in ages either. Something about the cover art always grabbed me with this one, too. Good stuff...

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks !!!!!

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks tim!!! i'm glad we found a decent way to get "not a word" out there in the world. that song was supposed to come out on a proposed split 7" with kingpin, but both bands sort of fell apart at the same time.

the cover shot is actually a picture of a dumpster my brother shot with a fisheye - we thought it sort of looked like the world w/ a chan around it which fit aptly with "globe".

mosh it up!

1:44 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i have always loved the cover and i think it was the original reason i bought the 7" in the first place.

i bought it from Trash American Style in Danbury, CT.

i think i couldve written about it a little better, but this is my first attempt at writing since before october... i gots to get the gears turning again.

glenn! hook us up with some kingpin if you got any in mp3.

3:54 PM  
Blogger jobeee said...

one of the last releases from doghouse i truly enjoyed! cool. cool. cool.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the unreleased kingpin stuff - i'd suggest the 2nd endless demo also.[matt the guitar player's band in which he sang]

http://www.albarkley.com/core/core_mp3s.php

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting this up. Another Wall finally digitized for the few who care. Yeah...There is an awesome live AW set out there on tape. We should get that up here too.
Brian

9:52 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey glenn, thanks for that site.

and brian, thanks for visiting. if either of you guys have access to that tape i would love to hear it.

you had more than 4 songs i imagine, right?

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a few live tapes. i'll try to rip the 2 demos. likely some good audio of a fist fight or two.

4:59 PM  
Blogger AP said...

Get the live shit up asap, I had a tape that didn't leave the cassette deck of my Oldsmobile. Said vehicle drove to many alleged Another Wall shows only to get there and find out dudes weren't playing, this list included the Cellblock, Tune In and 8Ball Skatepark, I am asking for my gas money back (only 93 cents per gallon then) from AW. You can send me donations via paypal.

Why aren't AW playing the 90s HC Fest, that's a fucking crime.

9:59 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

yeah! reunion! whatsup anthony.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

I love antarctica and was very stoked to hear blacklist. Dude has a good track record!

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA. thanks stephen... those pics on the blog are from the 8-ball, shortly after there was a cloud of mace and the cops shut the place down.

a reunion could happen, i still have my china cymbal, though i don't think brian will be playing anything with a floating tremelo, but you never know.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

find me a Jackson w/floyd rose whammy bar and i'll be there. I'd do it with a telecaster too.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Ashley Wilkinson said...

dude, the mediafire zip couldn't unzip correctly :( I have totally seen this record in my local record shop (numerous ones at that!).

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget "Breaking Out" from the Connecticut Hardcore 1992 comp, my personal favorite.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved Another Wall. Being a member of a contemporaneous CTHC band, ANOT (and eye for and eye and burn) were huge influences on us.
That said, I think this 7" sucks in comparison to their earlier stuff. The demo, the hardcore 1992 comp, the GLOBE tape...

Sans Bellucci, ANOT just didn't sound nearly as ...immediate as they did earlier.

Speaking of which, last I heard Dan was doing his own thing and making AMAZING music...

Last outfit I heard of was "Monument of Urns"

...slays like Sunn 0)))

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPIN, SPIN, SPIN, faster and faster... Here's to the valedictorians of the CT Hardcore class of 93... (though Higher Force with their gasmasks and Jasta 14 being completely out of tune at every gig deserve honorable mention)

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can anyone upload the Another Wall demo?

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Made this mix of old stuff about ten years ago. The live songs are from the show we played with Shelter. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1pnbz2c7w68dxw6

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home