Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Constantines - s/t (2001)



I like my rock and roll, and I like my post-punk. If you were me you would really like the Constantines first album. Constantines are from Toronto, Canada, and while some say they sound alot like Fugazi, I am going to just go ahead and disagree with that. Alot of people also say that Brian Webb sounds alot like the Boss...yes, that Boss, Jerseys greatest export, Bruce Springstein. He has that same gravely pitch that sounds like hes been smoking lucky strikes and drinking whiskey. The Constantines, while still good, have never bested this first album, in my humble opinion. It has the same soulful softness that later albums have had, but it is balanced with awesome fiery post-punk grit to make you pump your fists in the air and sneer like Billy Idol.

Sorry, Im not feeling too literary right now...

I shouldve just said, "This album rules".

5 Comments:

Blogger proven hollow said...

i'll say it for you. "this album rules." i love all their albums except for their most recent. awesome live band as well. one of the few bands lately that i havent just gotten sick of. rock and rule.

1:05 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

"Rock and Rule"

awesome...that deserves quotes...

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great record... I do think they have a little Fugazi + Springsteen crossover sound but nothing goes wrong with the sound they achieve here. This is their best and "Shine a light" is also good. Their last is good but I feel like even my parents could listen to it.

Thx for the Rodan post...

2:18 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

no problem...yeah, shine a light is good. but tournament, while good, doesnt get me all riled up like this one does.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had this in my headphones now for a couple of days now, and I'm really liking it. I think the Fugazi/Springsteen comparisons are actually pretty accurate, if a little odd; maybe they should be called Jergazy. Although I gotta say, the first track above all reminded me a lot of Abilene. Great post.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home