Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Pissed Jeans - Shallow (2005)



I caught Pissed Jeans last fall when they played with Boris in Brooklyn. My friend and I laughed at the name and thought they must suck. Names can do that sometimes. Even though I know better and absolutely love the Gorilla Biscuits, Modest Mouse, The Samuel Jackson Five and of course !!!. I know these bands are awesome, yet they picked bad names... It took a specific moment for me to realize they were actually good and look past their silly names... Such is the case for Pissed Jeans.

When Carl and I got to the show, in hopes of just seeing Boris and missing out on any shitty opening bands, we ended up walking in while Pissed Jeans was halfway through their set. And suddenly I was transfixed by the sound and the stage manner of the singer. He reminded me of David Yow, writhing and howling, bucking occasionaly and quickly won our nods of approval. The band also does its best Jesus Lizard impression, which for me is okay to try. There should be more bands like the Lizard, and certainly more depraved frontmen like David Yow. As of now, I know of two bands besides Pissed Jeans that effectively pull this off...The Young Widows and Black Elk, who have a bit more metal than YW or PJ.

Pissed Jeans bring a little more sludge into the mix, which is a wonderful thing and while not as good as JL, they have done quite a few good things. Shallow is one of them. They are set to release their new album on Sub Pop called Hope For Men, and despite their kooky name is a band worth seeing live.

9 Comments:

Blogger SirAllen said...

Blend77 - your music tastes align almost perfectly with mine and this blog has been great for me to discover so many new acts. But you summed it up with your JL comments. God love them.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Nice find...loving this. Listening to the "I Don't Need Smoke To Make Myself Disappear" single now...

11:01 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey, andy, if you could hook that up that would be great...the new album Hope For Men can be found at Wine-Women-Song on the tabs at the right...

1:18 PM  
Blogger Katy Diamond Hamer said...

Pissed Jeans is a pretty freakin' funny band name....but how could you NOT like...!!!? I think its clever...although difficult to pronouce for those not in the "know".

(Ps..hi!)

2:18 AM  
Blogger mr.A said...

Thanks for this man, i really like their new release. ...and damn a fool am i for almost forgetting to watch your blog so now and then.

The Constantines is a other great band by the way. I bought this one right when it came out and everybody said i was crazy, ...but they havent heared it then.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thx! I've just started to falling in love with their newest release, and this one is equally great. really, I wouldn't mind anything against some small noise revival :]

6:55 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

me neither. ^_^

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to take everyone else's word that it is a good release, since the damn thing never finishes the download. I am not wasting any more time waiting on dial up. I have their other album, and I'll just listen to it, and hope I can find this one at an affordable price some day.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Hollis said...

Very nice man, i guess i must say i was a bit more into hope for man but this is a solid album through and through.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home