Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Crownhate Ruin - Until the Eagle Grins (1996)



This nearly completes the Hoover progression. The Crownhate Ruin were formed immediately after the demise of Hoover in 95. With Fred Erskine on Bass and Joseph P. McRedmond on guitar and vocals and Vin Novara from 1.6 band on drums. The sound is pretty much the same as Hoover, with the record starting off with one of those fat funky Erskine basslines. Some of the passages are more drawn out, giving the band room to explores some of the terrain that Hoover savagely broke through. I guess you could say its got a bit more electrolux than Hoover but not as much as Regulatorwatts. Can you even speak of these bands without talking about all the bands they went on to be in? Hardly. I believe Erskine was in June of 44 at the same time as TCR. What a time for music.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing album. Just another amazing album from these guys. I've just finished to listen to this in good quality for the first time, so all the previous times don't count ;)

And the great thing is that from the moment we started to talk about all this Hoover's & Co. stuff I've started to discover this music once again and I think I love it even more than ever :)

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This album is one of my favorites... I just love its loosiness, especially the drums. I actually missed them play at the Jabberjaw in L.A. years ago (95 maybe). They opened for Kerosene 454 and I had no idea who they were and got there after their set. I will never forgive myself for that. I bought their 7' split that night (Karate/Crownhate) There is a song in there that's amazing. Maybe I'll rip it one day and post it if anybody has it yet. Kerosene blew me away that night though.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karate with The Crownhate Ruin on a split? Wow! I cannot wait for your rip :)

Talking about Karate I used to love their three first records but they started to be sooo boring after them ;) And Kerosene 454 was great, too!

6:46 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

agreed about Karate, but I would love to hear the TC Ruin song from that split!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home