Tuesday, June 12, 2007

more 7"s


Age of Reason - s/t 7"

I am not entirely sure when this came out, but it mustve been from 93-95. Age of Reason were a hardcore band from Connecticut. They play a style similar to what Converge started out with. Slighty metallic but mostly hardcore, with a few breakdowns, but none of the chuggin mid tempo mosh of Syracuse and Buffalo bands.. (Not that theres anything wrong with that stuff ^_^ ).



Fugazi - Furniture (2001)

Arriving just around the time The Argument was released, Fugazi gave us one of their oldest tracks. Im sure most people would say that this ep is worth it just for the song Furniture. And it is. Dont get me wrong. It fits perfectly with all the stuff on 13 songs. It has the same bouncy punch and the harder guitars. Ian screaming, and you can imagine them blasting your head off while playing this live. But! To cast a negligent shadow on the other two songs would be silly. #5 and Hello Morning are also very good songs and worth the same price. They are both newer songs, from The Argument era, one a pounding instrumental and the other an unholy racket led by Guy. Hello Morning is almost a barn burner. It is one of the faster songs in the late Fugazi years and it works good with Guys howl.



Struggle. - s/t 7" (1991)

This is one of my favorite hardcore records from the 90's, along with the Downcast 7". Super fierce and ass kicking hardcore from San Diego. Struggle paved the way for a good portion of hardcore bands in the mid 90's not even including all the bands the members went on to. All in all, this stuff boils down to a bunch of kids screaming about how pissed they are at the government. But you gotta admire the urgency of their message, and the chunky kick ass riffs they use to ram it down your throat. If they were selling car insurance I would be ready to bomb any motherfucker who wasnt ready to buy.


Absinthe - s/t 10" (1995)

Absinthe is the remains of the amazing Arizona hardcore band Groundwork. I posted some of their stuff a while back and had wished I could post this then. Absinthe are very similar to Groundwork in style and sound, though the lyrics seem to be more from an anti-religious stance as to the heavy political commentary of the previous band. (Funny enough, Four Hundred Years, were a band of another key member of Groundwork and they went on to continue the political fight for our nations freedom). The sounds lurch and propel you forward, pushing you into this whir of machinery like sound. The guitars sound like buzzing metal and the vocals sound drowned in static like the machinery is taking over the record. But the steady gut punch of the bass and drums keeps you focused and steadily moving. A few cleverly placed samples break the hum of the machine occasionly only to give loose to the frightening crunch once again.
Definitely good stuff. I wish I had more hardcore like this.


----------------------


Well, works been getting real busy, so I'm gonna be in and out. I have more records to post up and then I think I am gonna be taking a break for a few weeks. So stay tuned for the rest of my dwindled vinyl collection and have fun.

23 Comments:

Blogger proven hollow said...

look at you with the fucking POSTS. i have to say, i never had this fugazi record...haha. i dont think i have even heard of it. what the fuck?! haha. but i did have a bootleg from back in the day that had a live version of furniture on it. and it was good. it was called "all politicians are innocent" and it created quite a stink through the dischord camp. you see, dischord doesnt care if you bootleg shit (at least they used to not care) just dont put the dischord logo on it. with this 12" had the logo. and they were pissed. one side was live, the other side was demos from the first album. good stuff. maybe i still have it? who knows. sweet on the econochrist too. ive been listening to too much tindersticks lately.

11:53 PM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

"i'm officer friendly now fucking lick my boots!" haha. i forgot how awesome struggle was.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...didn't that furniture e.p. only come out in late 05?

Struggle, man! somebody got their LP!
..just need some Spitboy up now...
Kids, download this this stuff!!!!!

J.

6:47 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i have spitboy from papstar or maize... i will post it soon with the rest of my stuff... im basically gonna post all the remaining stuff i have, then bounce for a month.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it seems like this time you DID it! Imagine that I've just thinking of posting Furniture EP :)

As far as I know they released only two EPs, 3 songs and this one? Not many, but as I don't collect vinyls it's OK for me ;) Oh, of course I have the first one on Repeater CD, and this one was also relesed on CD. Anyway, I like it. But I like all the stuff they recorded. Maybe the first few albums more then the next few, but anyway, I like all of them.

Wait, have I said that I like the first few? I've lied :) I love them :)

And I must check Struggle! I've seen their anthology CD in some distro and wonder if I should buy this one immediately or wait for another opportunity... Thanks!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I can't remember if we ever put up any kingface...I can't find it anywhere and wanted to hear it last night. Lemme know, I swear I saw it posted somewhere around here...

8:10 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

kingface - i posted up the live double 7". i am thinking of posting up the discography CD soon. we should all combine forces and start one blog where we all post stuff...haha. i am so busy getting stuff from you guys that i neglect posting my own!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome man...I knew I saw it somewhere. That discography would be cool whenever you can get it up.

That blog idea isn't a bad one...I wouldn't have time to dedicate to my own blog, but I enjoy sharing what I can...maybe something we should all think about.

8:58 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

totally. i think we should do it. that way we can all just check back into one blog, rather than the 3 or 10 we are already...haha. is that just me being lazy?

here is the kingface cd:
http://www.mediafire.com/?a0ogjzozgym

it is kindof the "discography." if you have the 12"s, you will notice some of the songs are different recordings. but all in all, of course this rules, as does all things kingface.

9:43 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i think that is a good idea.... lets do it... do we start a whole new page?

lets do this!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know...your page already seems to have a pretty good following. I'm down for whatever. It will be easier on all of us to split it up this way. Whatever you guys wanna do will be fine with me.

11:51 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

i could put you guys on here.... and we can just rock it from Zen and the Art of Face Punching...

I am kind of into the name of the blog...

proven hollow could help give a new design to it (something ive been meaning to do but havent gotten around to yet. )

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea, that's kinda what I was thinking too. I dig the name. We could just all make posts.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it seems like the birth of the Great Idea :)

Good luck, boys! I cannot wait to hear all these great things you have in yours vaults! And it'll be really easier to have an eye on all of you in one place :)

I've just started to listen to Absinthe and I'm totally floored :) What an amazing band! I don't know how could I overlooked your Groundwork post but now I'm going to check it for sure! Absinthe rulez!!!

2:04 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Absinthe does rule... im glad you like it. it may actually be better than groundwork... but thats tough... Gorundwork is dirty and crusty where Absinthe sounds almost industrial... but just the sound... not the style...

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kms, I guess I was kinda assuming you would help too:)
But if you wanna keep your own separate blog, thats cool too!

2:43 PM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

i am down. i still will post my obscure out of print 7" stories on my own thang, but i definitely have tons of other stuff "the kids" would enjoy that i could post up on here. i think it would be a swell idea, rather than what seems to be the 4 or 5 of us having to keep combing through the comments here...haha. we all seem to have pretty damn similar musical tastes...scary. even scarier to think if we may have even crossed paths at some point in the past. yikes! there's only so many houses and vfws and "fests" that these bands played...haha.

btw, i have a stack of newly digitized 7"s i need to post up on the proven hollow. maybe tonight? who knows?! so take a peek back there soon!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I would be glad if I could help, but I don't think I have even a small percent of what you have to share! It really seems like I've downloaded much more from all of you than I can give in exchange last days :( But if only I can help with anything, you can count on me, I promise :)

But I have one more idea: as it seems like we've started to discuss much more things than just commenting our blog posts now, maybe we should do something with it? Some kind of forum? Or LiveJournal group or something like that? What do you think about?

And back to the Absinthe you may be right, blend, it can be this almost industrial touch which makes them so amazing, I think :)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool blog. i love the absinthe 7" more than the 10". so much better than groundwork.

do you have any Universal Order of Armageddon? i have all the vinyl, spread across 2 countries, but no way to make it all digital. can you help a brother out?

peace, jah.

7:14 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey ben, i like groundwork quite a bit, but absinthe just sounds fierce and dark...kinda evil...

i would love to hear the 7"... if you have a working turntable you can just buy a direct connection for the turntable into the comp... then use Audacity (free program, easy to use) or any number of software, and you just convert them to mp3 with iTunes..

anyway, someone can probably up the UOoA... I only have the split w/ Born Against...

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can up the UOoA...as long as you don't mind waiting till the morning when I get to work. I already have them on that pc.

11:51 PM  
Blogger christbutcher said...

i just ripped the absinthe 7" if you want it.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could someone please post the struggle 12 inch?

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home