Saturday, August 18, 2007

Vanilla - Plays Fantastique

Im a dumbass, and my flight to Seattle doesnt leave til tomorrow. Somehow 18 and 19 look alot alike on the computer screen (smacks forhead).

Well, I've been jamming this shit like a mini-Michael Jackson in the seedy underbelly of NYC since some of the crew linked it a while back. I was gonna get all into doing a post, thinking people need to hear this band, despite their demise, but it turns out Sweet Baby Jaysus over at Burning Down the Dreams of Forever had already done just that. So I am gonna highlight his review. Be sure to visit his blog and say whatsup.

------------------Review from Burning Down the Dreams---------------



"Birthed from the ashes of Parisian heavyweights Fingerprint and Ivich, comes Vanilla. A super group if you will.

I picked up a copy of their Tightrope Walker 7" about four years ago in Oklahoma City, and i have never been the same.

I would play the 7" over and over again until one day i came home and it, as well as a good three-four hundred lps and 7"s had vanished from my life with my girlfriend. I was saddened on many counts, angry on one, and all around disappointed. Finding French Hardcore in Oklahoma is very tricky yet i had done it, and now it was gone.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say, and by god i missed my records, but more over i missed Vanilla. I Immediately hit up the internet trying to find out what i could about Vanilla, but it's such a broad term on google that i ended up with ice cream and cake recipes. For some reason i started flipping through old MRR's and came across an ad for Vanilla's final LP Plays Fantastique, and i flipped. It didn't take too long for me to get a copy, and like the 7" it was unbelievable.

Mostly sung in English (a nice gesture for us americanos) the band plays through an amalgamation of sounds of their previous outfits, mixed with an almost Hoover meets Fugazi twin guitar attack sound. The crazy bass rolls, tensions mounting while the guitar plays clean to distorted the vocals actually sung over interesting instrumental sections. What is not to love about this album. It's rather a shame they weren't more widely recognized here in the states, unlike their previous outfits they managed to churn out a real discography (two albums, multiple 7"s, and compilation tracks) instead of just a few songs.

Of course with all great bands, this one too is now defunct, but their music will forever live on in the hearts of men.

8 Comments:

Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

i've been in those shoes before, arriving a day early and having the check in people look at me like i'm an asshole. yeah. thanks for the highlight, i f'in love that record, funny thing about that post, my ex actually read it and promised to send me back my records.
i have to work tomorrow but have a feeling i can get out early, you should still hit me up if your not too lagged.

5:50 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

cool, i should be fine... i'll ring you tomorrow afternoon.

it will be a 646 number. so keep a lookout... any chance you got an herb hookup?

5:59 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

yeah i actually have a couple of (recently acquired) numbers...

6:05 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

good to hear... my friend is not seeming like he wants to help me.

He smoked all his life, then quit 6 months ago... I dont smoke much recently, but I want some for the vacation and especially for the camping trip we're taking...

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice record! they were a good live band, too. had the pleasure to see a vanilla show in germany just before they disbanded...

9:20 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

jealousy sir is what i have for you. i could imagine they were incredible.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Ibès said...

Hi Guys!!!
I've just read this review and I just want to say thank you 'cause I was the drummer of this band...
Just to let you know, we've got a new band called YOU WILL NEVER APPEAR ON TV WITH SUCH A FACE (or Never On Tv)... 3 members of Vanilla plays in it!!!
I also have some copies of Vanilla's records (if you know someone who is interested) as the split cd w/ a japanese band called There Is A Light That Never Goes Out...
Once again, thank you very much for your kind words!!! Take care!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the 94 demo on tape!! Ive heard it has been recorded in a kitchen ,?!?! . I think its just the most energic hardcore songs ive heard in my music collection!!! Thank ya vanilla for what you have done

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home