Friday, August 17, 2007

Ween - The Pod (original Shimmy Disc)



Ween - The Pod (1990)

Ween. I can talk for hours about this band. Some people love them, many hate them. But no one, once they have heard them, will ever forget them. I was away visiting my friend at college when I first heard these guys. I had taken some magic shrooms and was in a strange college house and some guys put on 'Chocolate and Cheese', which I found out later was their most mainstream album at the time. It blew me away. I went home and purchased everything I could get my hands on by Ween. When I got The Pod, I remember racing home from the store and putting in the cd and laying on my bed to fully take in the experience. This was some fucked up shit! The album was recorded on a 4-track over the course of a summer, while they were living on a farm in Mt. Hope, Pa. They were under the influence of many, many narcotics while recording this, and you can definitely tell. The cover of the album is a spoof on the old Leonard Cohen album, except it features their friend Mean Ween on the front, and he is sporting a contraption they created called a Scotchgard bong. I won't go into what that is if you don't already know. Now I can't really explain much about the music, except to say, just listen to it and form your own opinion. But you must keep and open mind, it's not your typical song structure, in fact,their might not be any song structure. The music is fun, and you can tell they had fun making this album. Ween is comprised of two best friends from junior high, that got together and made music that was way ahead of their time. Well, I have rambled enough and have managed to give a horrible description of this album, so I think I am done. Please download this and try it. enjoy. oh and as a side note.. the song 'Mononucleosis' is a favorite of mine. Both Dean and Gene Ween contacted severe cases of Mono while living at The Pod, and it bleeds through to most of the album.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this has been my 1st ween cd - and it's far out!!
don't miss it, it is so great!

9:59 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

my friends favorite band ever... hes been getting me into them this past year....

another great post...

10:46 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

This is a good one to post, as it's hard to find...

I've got to say they are strangely popular for how random they are.

I think what's most strange about them is how well they get into musical styles (the country, the funk, the noise rock, whatever)with different albums and the reverence is just as turned up as the irreverence is, it's not some punk band trashing an 80s pop song kind of thing, but something much more complex...and polished.

Yeah, love 'em or hate 'em, ween are important. Nice post!

11:29 AM  
Blogger papstar said...

yea...a lot of people think they are a joke band. But they take their music very seriously. They have a very old split they did with the Boredoms...its awesome. More of a collaboration than a split..but nonetheless. If anyone wants that or anything else by Ween, lemme know. I have tons of their stuff

12:42 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks!! Been meaning to get more familiar with these guys. Great blog!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

love the ween! saw em with jawbreaker(!?!) years ago. "awesome sound" quite possibly the greatest song ever recorded...hit me again

1:04 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

yes..you are correct. but hearing all 5 parts of the stallion played together takes my breath away.

1:15 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

i've never thought about doing that...may have to try that out

1:27 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

MORE WEEN!

2:18 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

uh oh..you asked for it Blend.

I will up some more for ya..starting with the oldest

2:58 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

Here is GodWeenSatan : The Oneness
http://www.divshare.com/download/1625777-105

and here is 12 Golden Country Classics
http://www.divshare.com/download/1625778-435
there are only 10 songs, funny eh. They actually use 10 famous old time country musicians. I don't like country, but I rock this cd monthly.

Ween+Boredoms - Zrock Hawaii
http://www.mediafire.com/?12cqdanyity

they have some real old albums...that were tape only releases. Basically crazy shit done when Dean Ween was like 14.
I will up just studio shit unless someone wants to here them.

6:26 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

you wouldn't happen to have the mollusk waiting in the wings would you?

6:39 PM  
Blogger papstar said...

that was the next one... you can't go wrong with nautical themed albums...especially when they contain authentic Irish sea chanties!

I will put that up as a post on monday morning.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, i hadnt read the comments and was upping "12 golden country greats" which is my favorite. oh, well. beat to the punch.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ween are for sure an awesome band.. And of all there albums I think The Pod is my favourite, raw and sweet... it is a classic..

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home