Thursday, November 06, 2008

Damezumari



Two posts in one week?! Youve got to be shitting me.

Honestly, I am only just able to get back into my blog for the first time since The Swarm post. For some reason my computer at work would not let me connect to blogger. I couldnt even see comments or anything. Pretty budget. So somehow that has worked it's self out and here we are now.

So a few months back I finally decided to check out Damezumari. I had heard the name a number of times and had always intended to give them a listen but somehow time kept passing and when I finally did it was like some sort of revelation. In fact, it was almost biblical in proportions, like Moses parting the Red Sea, the aqueous landscape spliteth apart before mine eyes and there, on the other side was Damezumari, wreathed in white light, beckoning me forth to its aural pleasure, no shame in its eyes for my callous disregard for their ultimate tunage.

And thus it was folks. I was hooked, like Mrs. McCain on painkillers. I just couldnt get enough. Honest to God*, to Yahweh*, Joe Hova* even, I couldnt believe that I had survived without it this long.

Whats all the hoopla about? Well now that I built it up so much I have to deliver some awesome catchphrases and crucial comparisons to lure you into this revelatory glory that is Damezumari. But why, why do you need that? Why do you need my arbitrary pseudo-intellectual, grade school descriptors? When music is this driving and this crucial, isnt just enough that it exists? No! You need to give this a listen and see for yourself. Experience the complex flavors of angst and bliss, the heartfelt words and the twisting spiraling guitars of one Eric T. Listen and make them your own.

In all seriousness though, I am just being campy, Campy Campertons over here. Eric was nice enough to give me the green light to post this up for you guys to enjoy. In so far as I can tell Eric is the only mainstay of the band with a rotating cast of drummers and bass players. Whoever he finds to fill these spots though are some seriously awesome musicians. The songs all lock together in a fireworks display of emotive hardcore music. I believe you can still buy some of their wonderful screenprinted records from the band themselves. So if you are into vinyl than its a worthwhile purchase after you have digested these six songs here. Go visit their myspace and give them a shout and be sure to keep visiting here as I'll have some more upcoming stuff soon.

Credit for the below photos goes to Melissa Robbins.





* Zen and the Art of Face Punching does not specifically endorse God, Yahweh or Joe Hova or any other related deities. Damezumari on the other hand is fully endorsed.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks; I think they live up to your hype with aplomb. - Murf

5:50 PM  
Blogger cretin said...

very good stuff here, thanks.

7:18 PM  
Blogger mysterymoor said...

They have good bands as their top friends. I'll give them a listen :)

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Thanks!
While on this topic, can someone pls post
1) split 12" with Fire Team Charlie
2) 3 way split with Someplace To Hide and Steeples on Little Mafia


I found 2 other releases (demos?) here
http://noisecorporation.blogspot.com/search/label/*%20damezumari

Their myspace mentions the following "We have put out many self-released cd-r demos over the year with varying levels of intricate packaging, none of them are available anymore"

Anyone have a clue about those releases??

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 CD-R demos
1) no hugging = no learning - March 2004 - 25:16
2) angelus novus - Oct 2004 - 33:13
3) the politics of lonely - May 2005 - 22:58
4) MacRock CD - March 2006 - ~75:00

1 & 3 are on the site listed above

9:07 PM  
Blogger bozo skeleton said...

yep, good shit man. Thanks!!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with the post, but you must check out this band:

http://www.myspace.com/junomusic

They went out in 2005

10:54 PM  
Blogger sweet baby jaysus said...

man, i should be into this as they were from tulsa originally, but hey so were the tulsa race riot's and that's nothing to be proud of either. it's cool to see that daniel played with them for a minute (the guy with beard in the last photo, i've known him since he was six), but that's really about it. never could fully get behind this band namely because of eric and how he seemingly bought his way into the scene. oh snap i said it.
sorry for the negativity, i'm normally not like this, just something about eric still drives me up the wall. i've heard he's mellowed out over the years since i last saw him, but some things stick with you through life, no matter how mellow you become.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Dylan said...

Thankyou for this post, you have introduced me to yet another amazing band

1:41 PM  
Blogger Animals and Children said...

good band...off topic, anyone happen to have anything by the band Obits? think they just have an EP on sub pop, member of drive like jehu...

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, rick froberg's new band. they don't have any formal releases yet, but will soon. all they have so far is those live tracks on their myspace.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Animals and Children said...

ahhh that blows...ther eis an EP listed on the sub pop page, so i got excited...

5:19 PM  
Blogger theodore said...

here is a pretty brilliant 7" from back in the day that is fairly rare...

Hey, Dummy - Fall In Line
http://www.mediafire.com/?zjoz5ynlmm0

these guys played all around the midwest and east coast in the mid-to-late 90s, with the likes of Crudos, Charles Bronson, etc. check the full write-up here if you are interested:
http://tinyurl.com/5bfdgn

10:46 AM  
Blogger Allsnop said...

Sick record. Thanks man. I definitely think they live up to your hype.

7:41 AM  
Blogger dz said...

I saw your comment on Absolutely Punk Newz, and I was wondering if you could post some Ashes, I've really been digging them, but can't find anymore of there stuff anywhere.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man

i know im late to see this but i had grad school finals and then ive been on vacation and doing stuff and what not, but a belated thanks for the props. i can't remember what or if i sent you the stuff i said i would. i am really really bad about remembering things like that so let me know if i didn't.

and on the off chance that any one gives a shit about jay's whining, he is referring to the fact that I used a windfall of money to finance running a record label back about 8 years ago. I wasn't very good at it because I have a hard time networking and shamelessly self promoting. in other words I hate the concept of a 'scene' in the first place. i like communities, and im perhaps a little too wary of when one is not the other. He seems to have suggested that it is somehow impure to funnel money from one's parents into the 'scene' in support of bands that well deserve it. the implication is that i would have done this for status. i think he's confusing me for someone else, cause i could point to a heck of a lot of instances where I have been anything but that sort of superficial underground cred hog. Unlike Jay and so many of his fellow hardcore purists, I specifically do not trade in the cache of knowing every band from everywhere and what food they feed their girlfriends' dog, or the exact lineage of all their previous musical misadventures. there may have been a month or two i cared about that shit, but i spend most of my time far more concerned with doing well in grad school, teaching my students, and creating music i like with people i enjoy jamming with. If anything, I would say that people like Jay, by which I mean virtually everyone in Tulsa, have been far far far less than supportive of my band, despite the fact that we have done nothing different than any other band in tulsa, except maybe we didnt drink ourselves into oblivion or transparently base every song on a disco beat for all the post-hippie teenage cool kids. nearly every punk in this town comes from a middle class background. so if you want a snowglobe of the days of the 401, then just stick with your brother inferior records and call that all the music youll ever need. i can guarantee you if i were back here i would be helping all i could with the monolith, whether or not you approved of my apparently contaminating presence, and i would kill to have something like it in the high-rent and shitty-music hell that is socal, i would kill to have been accepted in my own "scene" (whatever that would even mean) and to have felt a reason to stay behind in tulsa, but instead, I am where I am, and you are where you are, and we're all just hanging upside down in the void, distracted by surface and light, and processed petroleum, so if you want to air your concerns, feel free, i've always been accessible.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home