Sunday, August 12, 2007

Brainworms Live - Last Night - Brooklyn @ The Woodser




This video has no rhyme or reason to it. the sound is terrible, half the time i was pointing at the floor or the ceiling, the song is Born With a Beard, I had to dance... It is complete chaos, it was fucking awesome!

Pics and commentary later. I must go outside!

------------------->>>>

It's later, so heres the scoop...

I was supposed to go upstate last night, but as it turned out, my night was free. At the same time, I was lucky enough to hear of a possible Brainworms show in Brooklyn. I asked my girlfriend Lara if she would go with me, despite the fact that punk music isnt her forte, and she surprisingly said yes. She got a really dope new camera and I told her it would be a fun time and good for photo ops...

I borrowed her older digital camera and we set off around 8. The show was at a place called The Woodser which turned out to be a loft that people lived in and happened to throw DIY punk shows in twice a month. It was a pretty cool place with an awesome rooftop porch area and lots of people hanging out. We got some $2 Pabsts and hung outside while the first band went on, a local act, Achten. They had no change for the beers, so we needed to go break some bills and headed out and ended up going to a local haunt, Spuyten Duyvil. They have the bomb beers... We hung in the garden until we felt it was time to go see Brainworms...

It turned out to be good timing as the last band had just finished and the 'worms were up next. It was jungle hot in that place, but I persuaded Lara to wait inside as there were far more people than space to watch from inside. We got ourselves situated and the band quickly got prepared and proceeded to their first song. The place immediately erupted into a sweating writhing mass as Lara and I took some pics.

Well, as the band played on and the songs got more furious, It was hard not to be a part of the mayhem so I succumbed to the longing in my legs to bust out some dance moves. LOL!!! Oh yeah, I "danced". It was great, I was alive and having a blast! Greg, the bearded singer was flinging himself everywhere in the crowd and the band was tight as a drum.

Speaking of drums, their drummer was intense and amazing. Words dont do much justice, and neither do pictures really. The video above comes somewhat closer to the frantic maelstrom that the Woodser became under the 'worms influence. Someone actually picked up Greg and bodyslammed him on the ground!

It was all over quick, and my heart rate was nearing the bursting point. There was beer everywhere, the smell of BO and smiling sweaty faces all around. It was a sight to see, and I think I added (or took off) a few years to my life.

We stayed for Pink Razors, who were headlining, and they were actually pretty awesome live. They rep a more traditional punk style that is somewhat influenced by the Ramones, but faster and, dare I say, more punk.

Best of all was that Lara enjoyed herself at her first punk concert. Though she did admit to being scared when everyone started going apeshit, though I think it had more to do with her camera than her own physical well being. She rocks and shes a good sport.

Well, enjoy the pics.. I took about 60 and these are the only ones that came out. Lara has more, but I am not sure if shes upped them yet.

Brainworms on Myspace



























7 Comments:

Blogger papstar said...

hey man...hope the concert was great! I gotta see em in Richmond.

I am downloading their new 12" now...called Which is Worse. It's just a remastered version of their demo on one side, and the live demo on the other. Lemme know if you want it once I get it.

5:06 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

Wow. That gig looked amazing. And it actually sounded pretty good too, to be honest. And "bonkers" too, apparently?

Just wanted to let you know, blend, that I've jumped on the blogwagon too. But instead of albums, I'm doing books.

My site's design is, unfortunately, a blatant (yet seemingly subconcious) rip-off of Zen Face. Check me out at steadydietofbooks.blogspot (aren't fugazi awesome;)!)

Oh, and glad to hear you've got good weather to drag you away from the internet. It's pretty nice here too, although the sun's long gone down.

Slan (Irish for peace), Gabba

5:07 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey paps.... i got that Which is Worse album, the recorded songs sound pretty good. Hence, Born With a Beard is a definite favorite...

they had the vinyl there last night, but i bought the tape!! haha!!

got myself a nice shirt... definitely go SEE THEM!!! really cool dudes too..

Gabba! what an awesome name for you blog! i am a big reader, and it sounds like a really good idea...

maybe at some point you can consider me for some contributions, similar to how i put some of the guys on to zen here...

no worries about the site design... i always respect if you like how i do things ^_^

i'll be sure to link you up...

cheers. i'll finish this post later tonite with all my pics from the show. for now, you can check em here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9601487@N04/sets/72157601391756132/

6:07 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

Nice pics... beardcore!!

I'm always open to contributions... I've already got something very weird and music-related coming from a friend in the pipeline... I'll probably do a review of Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance sometime soon as well.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Walt said...

shit rules. nuff said

12:55 PM  
Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

hehe... hey blend (and all at ZAFP), I've jumped on the blogwagon a second time... now I'm doing music!

Check me out at hardcorefornerds.blogspot.com, and find out exactly how much obscure music I have that isn't already on this site!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes that is cool! The band rocks and because of the video, I feel like I was there spazzing out too.
Thanks

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home