Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Black Kites



Its been a long time since I have been excited about a new heavy hardcore band that I have practically resigned myself to listening to old Snapcase and Groundwork records whenever the mood strikes. All the new heavy stuff is either shite or its straight up metal. Which serves me fine as I like both. But I do miss the sound of those earlier bands and somehow no one seems to do it right or they feel the need to throw in something else to make it "new" that makes it less than what it could have been. I had just about gave up on hope of ever finding something new. Something that would make me wish I could pile up at the front of a stage, screaming lyrics and tossing my self into disarray.

That is, until Black Kites came into my life. Black Kites are the first glimmer of hope that heavy hardcore isnt dead. Residing in New Jersey, the three piece knows how to keep the adrenaline levels pumped without sacrificing what made hardcore good to begin with. They use no bass player and instead utilize multiple amps to produce a convincing low end. The vocals are screamed in a usual manner, though if one had to weigh in on what kind of scream this guy has it falls on the higher pitched side of things. A bit screamier than a lot of the bands of its kind. The fate of the band lies mostly with the guitarist and here is where Black Kites delivers. The guitars (or one guitar, though it sounds like 5 guitars) have a very dirty sound that reminds me of Groundwork or Absinthe. I see this as a wholly positive thing. Then theres the low end, also being produced by the guitars that almost takes the form of some of the stoner doom elements that so many bands love these days. But when this beast is fully firing on all cylinders that low end combined with that dirty sound give it a weight that leaves no question that these songs mean business...

The end effect is something that comes off squarely in the Unbroken, Disembodied, Chokehold, Groundwork style. If you tossed all that shit together and made a shake out of it you would have the Black Kites. The songs have groove, crunch and plenty of momentum to keep a dancefloor moving. Each of these three songs has a certain part that makes me day dream about moshing. Be it the gang vocals of "Our hunger for greed / will bring the end!!" on Selfish Tradition, or the guitar and kick groove about 30 seconds into Sly Fox, right before the whole mess comes crashing into you again, or the bass heavy rumble of Advancement to Ruins second section, these songs just keep on kicking.

Advancement to Ruins is their new album that is about to come out soon on Ride The Fury records. Check out the Black Kites myspace page and check out the Ride The Fury myspace page for any shows and pre-order info. Let me know what you think of these three songs. Consider it an e7". The cover is unofficial, pasted together from myspace and the lyrics are included in the zip.

Tom, the guitar player, used to play in You and I and The Assistant and currently plays in In First Person. All bands worth checking out. The drummer Jay plays in Zhenia Golov. NJHC for the win this time. more later.

20 Comments:

Blogger Ape Mummy said...

You had me at "ex-You & I". If I were reviewing this for MRR, I'd say something witty like, "A delightful romp in the thin line between Chain of Strength and Pageninetynine."

Good stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post! ive been a fan of your blog for a long time now and check it regularly. I appreciate all the excellent links and write ups.

Im also in the band In First Person with Tom. Everyone should check us out as well if you get a moment!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Icky said...

This sounds interesting from your description; about to D/L it & check it out, thanks.

Um, you were asking for some DESPAIR, right?

http://www.mediafire.com/?wjmtecntonb

ENJOY.

Jason Lo-Res

10:02 PM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

Hi Tim, finally coming up for air again and finding time to check out some new music again. Although I am not a particularly big fan of any of those bands that you reference there your write up (as usual) makes me want to check them out nonetheless. DL'ing right now. Cheers ;-)

11:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff Chord said...

TIM!! Long time no talk buddy! I know you were looking for that Absinthe 10", well good news for you is that interpunk still has a few copies. I live with a dude who used to know a lot of those guys right now actually! Hope all is well between you and your significant (probably better ;] ) other.

12:11 AM  
Blogger luciferyellow said...

The music is great. The voice, ah, uhmm, I just can't get into it that much. Vox (and especially "screamo") are always hit or miss...

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually don't trust any band without a bass player, which is why i would never loan Sleeter-Kinney any money, but this is pretty good.

They could still use a bass player.

I am happy to be finding some new hardcore that I actually like. I am really digging Defeater and Cruel Hand right now as well.

9:14 AM  
Blogger blend77 said...

hey, thanks for the great reception guys! the best part about Black Kites is that Tom is the nicest guy. though i agree a bass usually is an important part i dont often find myself missing it in this case.

thanks Jason for the Despair!

Jeff, I have the Absinthe 10". i have had my copy since the 90's. i mustve meant the 7"... if you found that let me know. Brendan is releasing a remastered Absinthe discography next year sometime. i am in talks to do the artwork for it, so i will keep you posted when i know more.

check out In First Person. someone recommended them to me before and i finally checked them out when i first heard Black Kites... great stuff... maybe a write up on them in the future.

thanks again!

10:26 AM  
Blogger proven hollow said...

interesting stuff, although new brunswick brings back some painful 90s memories of almost freezing to death sleeping in a van. i agree that they really "should" have a bass player. not having one just seems kinda gimmicky. at least they arent a fucking 2 piece! god damn do we need another 2-piece band? anyway. yeah this is good stuff. would be crushing though with a true low end. i'm sure they have their reasons though. like "we havent found someone totally rad enuff" or something like that. i'd like more posts like this. new "hardcore" bands that us old people can actually like and find some merit in, rather than a new band that just sounds like an old band. is there a "new hardcore style" yet? seems like an new generation of something truly exciting is way over due.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jared Dillon said...

someone should upload 'Con Art' since these guys i think took their name from it.

5:27 PM  
Blogger CCBenForAmerica said...

Hey! Thanks so much for the time and energy you devote to this blog. It's great. You do a great job of finding good music and describing it.

I get tired of heavy music pretty fast. Not because I don't love it, but most of the people who listen to heavy music don't actually like heavy music. I can't go to shows and see old friends. I'm the old guy that the young kids look funny at.

When Converge released No Heroes I think I was the only guy at the show that saw them at Furnace Fest or was even old enough to drive to Furnace Fest!

Oh well!

Have you ever heard Codeseven? I've been looking all over for their early releases:

Paper or Plastic (Huel Records, 1996)
A Sense of Coalition (The Music Cartel, 1998)
Division of Labor (1999)

I've owned all 3 of these albums at some point and they're awesome! Best live show back then!

Anyway, thanks a ton!

11:53 AM  
Blogger amit said...

...and they're SO crushing live. My favorite band in NJ to see every weekend.

9:14 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

Phil, whatsup, glad to see you around. im gonna try to get into more newer stuff without stepping on too many toes.

Jarod, i wonder if its from that Q and Not U song Air Conditions.. hmmm.

Ben / Barbara, thanks for the comments! i have not heard of codeseven. if you happen to come across any drop some off here in the comments.

amit, are you going to the Towers / Black Kites show coming up in philly? i wish i could make it down for that...

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff, man! Thanks for this post. Any good shows coming up?
-Sean M.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom was also in This Ship Will Sink.

http://www.last.fm/music/This+Ship+Will+Sink

2:32 PM  
Blogger amit said...

I'm not sure, maybe if I can hitch a ride with someone. Words can't express how much I loathe the drive from NJ to Philadelphia. I'd like to see Towers though.

On a note unrelated to Black Kites, does anyone have mp3s of the Canephora 7" they can upload? I sold my copy years ago and feel like listening to it again.

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont mean to plug shows, but since its related to black kites and towers....
today, the 30th, in toms river, NJ @ 5pm
In First Person (myself and Toms other band)
Elder (from philly and members of Towers)
http://www.myspace.com/elderphiladelphia
City of Ships (on tour from virgina)
http://www.myspace.com/cityofships

also i should have introduced myself when i posted earlier...im Rob! nice to meet you. and hi amit!

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, nice work with the Black Kites posting. I am obviously a fan, and not just because I know and love Tom, but because they fucking rule. Hopefully they will continue on for a few years and get some more releases and touring done...

Also, who is Jeff Chord? He mentioned living with someone who knew us (Absinthe) back in the day...just curious who that might be?

Keep up the good work as always dude! And if you can find them, post the Initial Reaction 7" and the Zero Tolerance 7" sometime.

Peace - Brendan

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo saw then at abc no rio. They sounded so good especially for such a small room. The cleanness of the sound is really practical in such a setting. Plus the crowd was so small the singer guy came up and yelled in everyone's face individually! Fun!

3:16 PM  
Blogger blend77 said...

nice! hoping to see them at some point and hopefully get to bullshit with tom, but we shall see. they play lots of jersey shows.

brendan, i have a zero tolerance discography, but i dont know which songs are from where.

i never heard of initial reaction, but i found a description and i am eager to hear it.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home